Balcony Roof Plan Settings

johnny

Why is it when I draw a roof plane over a balcony, that has the same structure heights as a floor, the baselines end up different?...and then if I manually enter the baseline I want it changes the fascia.  I need to be able to lock 2 items to get the roof plan to correctly model in this location it seems - but I am sure there must be some easy explanation.

Thanks in advance.

post-75-0-95322200-1460351256_thumb.jpg

Small Lot Conceptv2.plan

Johnny,

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but I think the difference in the roof heights (assuming the same pitch) is being caused by the difference in thickness between the railing wall and the house wall.

Try unchecking Automatic Birdsmouth Cut in the roof defaults and then draw your balcony roof..

Chief is making auto b/m cuts which will vary depending on wall thickness.

It's a lot easier to do auto roofs. :)

Johny if this what you trying to do as in the picture. Do what my good friend Dave from DMZ suggest and I think he just did a video on that. Go to Areal View Set and delete the roof> Build Roofs> and just select> Make Roof Baseline Polylines (turn the layer on) Now you will see all your baseline polylines. Select them all and  pull it over the balcony and Build your roof again and make sure you check mark Use Existing Baseline Polylines and you done. Something funny going on on the left of the house, with that you just have to tweak the roof a little and it's done. I would play a little more with it and get it where you have to be but I have to drive my son, but you will get it from here. Attached is the plan also. 

post-4069-0-99487300-1460373440_thumb.jpg

Small Lot Conceptv2_rev.plan

Johny if this what you trying to do as in the picture. Do what my good friend Dave from DMZ suggest and I think he just did a video on that. Go to Areal View Set and delete the roof> Build Roofs> and just select> Make Roof Baseline Polylines (turn the layer on) Now you will see all your baseline polylines. Select them all and  pull it over the balcony and Build your roof again and make sure you check mark Use Existing Baseline Polylines and you done. Something funny going on on the left of the house, with that you just have to tweak the roof a little and it's done. I would play a little more with it and get it where you have to be but I have to drive my son, but you will get it from here. Attached is the plan also. 

That or you could try using the same roof pitch.

Andy.

Not sure what outcome you are actually after but the roof planes are at different pitches are they supposed to be the same?

by simply making all settings the same I can get the ridge at 45 deg and over corners.

Yes, you're right. I posted the wrong version of the house sorry - I meant to post v3....however, the problem is still the same even when I change that roof pitch back to 3.5. The issue is that when I build a roof plane over a balcony with the same room spec info as the adjoining room, the roof plane is set to different baselines and fascia heights.

Not a bad idea - i'll try that...thanks!  The roof I have shown so far is a fraction of the work i have yet to do on that house, but that baseline build first may be what i need.

Johnny,

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but I think the difference in the roof heights (assuming the same pitch) is being caused by the difference in thickness between the railing wall and the house wall.

Try unchecking Automatic Birdsmouth Cut in the roof defaults and then draw your balcony roof..

Chief is making auto b/m cuts which will vary depending on wall thickness.

It's a lot easier to do auto roofs. :)

Will try this too - and I know about the auto roofs.  When I am done with this plan, and if you have a moment perhaps you can show me how I could have done it with auto-roofs.  The plan looks simple now since I am in the preliminary stages...but its actually an Anglo-Caribbean design with some interesting rooflines.