From '3x12 joists 16" OC' to '11 7/8 iJoist' label

kylejmarsh

Hi - New to chief and getting into framing. Looked around the forums and couldn't find a link to this question: How do I change the automatic labels for my floor framing. I've specified 11 7/8 iJoists but the auto-labels say 3x12 joists - I can't send these plans out with that label. Although it is technically accurate from a nominal standpoint, it's not doing much for me as is. Any tips? Looked all around to try to fix this.

Kyle

If you have them set as "I-Joists" then you can use the following:

%width% x %depth% %type_name%

But that will only show the label in decimal inches.  If you want a completely custom set of framing annotations in fractional inches for all member types - I have a comprehensive macro package which I sell for $35.00

post-47-0-87439800-1460297589_thumb.jpg

All the labels in the above example are produced by my %Framing Labels% macro - except the headers & the  one that reads "2.5. x 11.875 I-Joist".  It can also be used to label the "Wall Details" if desired.

If you have them set as "I-Joists" then you can use the following:

%width% x %depth% %type_name%

But that will only show the label in decimal inches.  If you want a completely custom set of framing annotations in fractional inches for all member types - I have a comprehensive macro package which I sell for $35.00

attachicon.gifFraming Labels.JPG

All the labels in the above example are produced by my %Framing Labels% macro - except the headers & the  one that reads "2.5. x 11.875 I-Joist".  It can also be used to label the "Wall Details" if desired.

Joe, are you finding the arrow sticks better in X8 ??

Joe, are you finding the arrow sticks better in X8 ??

Yes, but I still prefer "Labels" in most cases.  Framing members all have Labels but only Beams and Posts have Defaults for the Labels.  I'm pretty sure I have requested Defaults  for all the other Framing Member Types.  But the more requests we make, the more likely we are to get results from CA.

By using a Label we can still add "Dumb Arrows" to clarify the intent.