Terrain in X-8, does it behave better?

dshall

Working on a project in X8.  Not a super complicated terrain,  but there was a bit of info.....  anyway,  the terrain behaves as I think it should.

Has anybody else noticed that the terrain behaves better in X8?

If I was going to build a scaled terrain model in real life the last thing Id do is grab a roll of cellophane wrap and try and stretch it over toothpicks.  Yet, I feel this is exactly how Chief developed our terrain tools.  Not a fan, and I dont see any difference.

I Start with just 2-3 Elevation Lines and a few "Flat Terrain Regions" with "Interpolate Edges" checked.  Then I add Roads, Driveways, Sidewalks, etc.  Beyond that, Terrain Features, Terrain Breaks, Retaining Walls.............

The less Elevation Data I provide, the better the Terrain results.

If I was going to build a scaled terrain model in real life the last thing Id do is grab a roll of cellophane wrap and try and stretch it over toothpicks.  Yet, I feel this is exactly how Chief developed our terrain tools.  Not a fan, and I dont see any difference.

Ha, couldn't have said it better. 

Producing terrains for me is akin to getting up and flushing a $20 down the toilet every ten minutes.  I seldom need them for the con docs I produce.  It is easy enough to list elevation data at property pins and foundation when needed.

That said, I would do more if better tools were available such as a 3d graphical interface where I could push/pull surfaces.