p solids

dssharp

Can someone tell me why when i create something out of a p solid, it's all over the place?

Seems like i have to go find it. I create on level 2 and its on level 1. I create in elevation and its in the wrong place.

Generally i have to create it in a new plan and copy past back to the plan im working on. What am i missing?

When drawing P Solids in elevation it will be on the floor where you drew it. That means that the camera view (elevation view) will be set to a floor level at the time of drawing. I often will be on the 1st floor plan and then switch to an elevation assuming that I am still on the 1st floor but the floor level reads 2 on the elevation.

Can someone tell me why when i create something out of a p solid, it's all over the place?

Seems like i have to go find it. I create on level 2 and its on level 1. I create in elevation and its in the wrong place.

Generally i have to create it in a new plan and copy past back to the plan im working on. What am i missing?

Alan's advice is good but i'm still trying to figure that out after 15 years of using Chief. I can find them more easily now that I have learned where to look but it still frustrates me. If you create a p solid in elevation it will usually be created up against the nearest vertical surface, or at the camera itself if Chief can't figure out where it should go. Then it needs to be located in plan view to sit in its proper location.

I've had p solids created that were simply impossible to find with my meager brain and skill set so I draw them over - a lot. Really think this needs some work for future releases.

Alan, so when using the p solid, why is it not in place in elevation and i can move it in plan view to where i need it.

is there a reference of origin ? In other words when a p solid is used does chief have an origin where its placed? I would guess that from say an elevation view ,when u draw a p solid it can be anywhere related to the camera. meaning near or far. I was wondering if there was way to reference the origin in elevation view. X and y ?

Alan, so when using the p solid, why is it not in place in elevation and i can move it in plan view to where i need it.

is there a reference of origin ? In other words when a p solid is used does chief have an origin where its placed? I would guess that from say an elevation view ,when u draw a p solid it can be anywhere related to the camera. meaning near or far. I was wondering if there was way to reference the origin in elevation view. X and y ?

If there is no vertical surface like a wall Chief will create the p solid at the plane of the Camera itself - look there first.

Larry, yes that works. But when walls and such are in background p solids are floating around anywhere. I'm zooming out all the time to find them. Then if there are a lot of pieces they are all over the place also. 

So i guess the question is , is there a way to set the origin?

Not that I know - and if you draw in a certain view it means you won't be able to edit fully or even snap in other views.  So then to get around that if you go make psolid sections in different views and put them together and block, moving that block often results in glitch-outs.

I have been able to use "place point" to get some better control - but as Larry said needs work badly.

My misinformation was not correct (double, triple negative that!). Actually, for misinformation it was correct. Either way, I have been experimenting and the floor level shown on the tool bar seems to not impact the floor level of the p solid. The location in relation to the floor level that you draw it does. At least in my test plan.