Dimension Question

English

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I have my ¼" Scale Dimensions set for the Closest Fraction Reduced Fraction as well as smallest fraction is ½".  If I select a window to move it and the temporary dimension is 2'-8½" and I click on it to resize, it says 2'-8.062.   I even set the dimension to 2'-8 1/16 but it still says 2'-8½" when I hit Enter.

Shouldn't it change to 2'-0" as the nearest fraction?
Thanks
Alan

Yes mine are set to that but look at the screen shot -- I changed the dimension to 3'-3 1/16" yet it shows 3'-3½".  It should be 3'-3" as 1/16" is closest to that than 3'-3½"  If I change it to 3'-3 13/16" it shows as 3'-4" as it should.

Alan

post-8283-0-46236900-1460052051_thumb.png

Michael

Here it is (well a test plan into which I copied over some walls etc).  Look at the window in the RH wall toward the top.  I set the dimension to a x'-x1/16" yet it shows as x'-x½".  If you change it to say 13/16" it rounds up to a whole inch.

Alan

Test.plan

Your problem is that the dimension in question is part of a string and the numbers in those strings have to add up.  The dimension on the opposite side of that window is just under a 3/4" increment which is forcing it to round to 1/2".  Therefore, your problem dimension is forced to round to 1/2".  Change your dimension defaults so that the smallest fraction is 1/4" and it makes more sense. 

You can also force what you are trying to see by breaking that string into 3 separate dimension and setting the one in question to a smallest fraction of 1/1.  I don't think that would be a very good idea though. 

In my plan I was referring to the temporary dimension not the auto dimension. In the screen shot I was changing one dimension in a two dimension string first from outside wall to window -- second from window to insure wall.   Not sure if that makes any difference though.

Alan

Do you have grid snaps turned on? That can do it.

I need to check that.

Alan

• Solution

Mark was pointing you in the right direction. Change to Distance Rounding and you're golden.

attachicon.gifdistancerounding.PNG

I don't think that's what Mark was talking about, but I think you provided a good solution. 

From the Help files...

Grid Rounding ensures that the sum of the parts of a dimension line add up to the whole distance. To produce this result, some sections may not be rounded accurately. This is the recommended rounding method and is selected by default.

Distance Rounding addresses each section of a dimension line individually, which could result in the sum of these sections not being equal to the whole. This option is selected by default for files created in Version 8 or prior but is not recommended for newer files. See Compatibility With Previous Versions.

Note that when using distance rounding your dimensions may not add up, so it may not be the best idea in most circumstances.