Door & Windows Header Macro

buzzsaw204

Robert,

That macro is included in my "Macro a Month Club" subscription.  I believe it's the macro from October 2015.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/6595-joes-macro-a-month-subscription-service/

Opening Labels w Header - sample output:

X7:  W04 - 3040 SH - (3) 2x6 Hdr 

X8:  W04 - 3040 SH

(3) 2x6 Hdr

X8:  W04 - 3040 SH

Tempered

Egress

(3) 2x6 Hdr

Note:  In X8 if the opening is Tempered an/or Egress, those options will also be displayed in the Label

Joe's macro works like a charm ,only thing is I only want the header to show on the framing plans, without all the other junk automatically, b/c it's in the window and door label, right now you can't just show the header only, without using a text box with arrow.

......, b/c it's in the window and door label, right now you can't just show the header only, without using a text box with arrow.

I wonder how  long we will have to wait for this?  This kind of stuff is no-brainer stuff.  We do it on every  plan.  Why can't this be automatic?

Window labels on the floor  plan.

Window header label on framing  plan.

I do this on every single plan that I have worked on for the  past 35 years.  

CA already builds the header  ( a default size).  Why can't we control the size of the header via the window dvx.  Why can't the header size show on framing plan.  Why can't I control the line weight and style of the header in framing plan?  It's there,   why do I have to provide a line to represent the header.

Every single door and window will have some sort of header.  Why can't the header show up on the framing  plan?

This is the kind of feature that I assume is relatively easy to  provide but it would be a game changer for me.

...CA already builds the header  ( a default size).  Why can't we control the size of the header via the window dvx...

Didn't really give a ton of thought to your whole list, I think you're probably right about the rest, but this one in particular stood out to me because we definitely CAN do this.

post-46-0-84310200-1460043195_thumb.png

The problem is that CA is just not creating the Headers in the Framing Plans.  They are there in the Wall Details (and can be labeled there) but they are not in the Framing Plans.

If CA adds them to the Framing Plans (as we have asked for years) then the labels will not be a problem.

• Upvote 1

Didn't really give a ton of thought to your whole list, I think you're probably right about the rest, but this one in particular stood out to me because we definitely CAN do this.

Yes,  you are correct,  I misspoke,   ..........  bottom line the headers and their labels should show on the framing plan and we should have control how they appear.

Gosh,  how does everybody else handle this.  Do you have to draw a line to represent the header?  This is stupid.  The header is there,  why can't there be a way that I can choose how to display the header.

Gosh,  how does everybody else handle this.  Do you have to draw a line to represent the header?  This is stupid.  The header is there,  why can't there be a way that I can choose how to display the header.

Scott,

You're wrong - at least from the standpoint of the "Framing Plans".  The "Headers" are not there in the "Framing Plans" even though they are there in the Wall Details and in the 3D Framing views.  We've asked repeatedly for them to be in the Framing Plans.  It should be easy for CA to do - but they haven't done it.

• Upvote 1

Doors already have headers in plan view, you can turn those on and off it's the windows that don't show headers which is ok by me, but we all want header labels for both doors and windows to show on the framing plans. For beams, I show line weight of 100 for floor and ceiling beams and you can turn them on and off, headers should act like beams, separate layers for headers also, and not lump all headers in the same layer.

Doors already have headers in plan view, you can turn those on and off

Those are not really Headers, just a couple of lines that are displayed to show the wall above the Door.  The actual Headers are not there in the Plan View.

"Headers" are a part of Framing and should be shown in the Framing Plans - as we have repeatedly requested.

BTW, FWIW you can turn on the Windows & Window Labels in the Framing Layer Set.  Then change the Window Linestyle to "blank" and lock both the Window and Window Labels Layers.

As long as you are not using a Schedule Callout for the Labels you will get the Label.  If you want to hide everything except the Header Label you can put a mask over it.

Those are not really Headers, just a couple of lines that are displayed to show the wall above the Door.  The actual Headers are not there in the Plan View.

"Headers" are a part of Framing and should be shown in the Framing Plans - as we have repeatedly requested.

Sorry, I meant the representation of headers

BTW, FWIW you can turn on the Windows & Window Labels in the Framing Layer Set.  Then change the Window Linestyle to "blank" and lock both the Window and Window Labels Layers.

As long as you are not using a Schedule Callout for the Labels you will get the Label.  If you want to hide everything except the Header Label you can put a mask over it.

It really should be easier than that, I don't know anyone willing to mask each window and door. Nice thought though. right now I just show the whole label.