Chief vs Archicad

GLOBE-Res

In my formal CADD training, I did some work with a program called "Autodesk Architectural Desktop" that is now called "Autodesk AutoCAD Architecture".  I looked into "AutoCAD Architecture", "ArchiCAD", "Envisioneer" and "Chief Architect" when I first looked into purchasing an architectural design and drafting software program.  I ultimately decided on Chief Architect.  I think I made a good choice since I will most likely only be working on residential and light commercial projects.  If I would have had about $5,000 to invest in a software program, I probably would have looked into ArchiCAD more.  Sounds like ArchiCAD would have been a little overkill for the projects I may be taking on.

The problem with this discussion is that "better" or "superior" is not being tied to any measurable criterion. Better for what? Certainly AC is more powerful (can handle bigger projects) and has more features. (And a much steeper learning curve.) But this is like saying that a 747 is "better" than a single engine plane. If your business is crop-dusting, it isn't better for YOU.

I agree with you. As I said I am a bit biased. In my opinion AC is better for my projects. I do residential and commercial projects as well. This started from kitchen cabinetry design (shop drawings), to extended plans for 28 storey hotels. Archicad is not limited to large projects, it does small projects as well. I agree CA is  easier to learn and faster for residential project if you start using CAD for architecture. I am not here to take anything away from CA, just wanted to give my opinion to the thread. (titled: Chief vs Archicad)

BricsCAD seems like a great program for everything other than residential and small commercial construction. I'm not a Chief home or fan boy but one look at the complexity of that interface and I'm running back to Chief.

Like every choice in CAD software one has to choose what fits their business. BricsCAD, ArchiCAD, ACAD are way, way, too complex and overkill for what I do in my business. If I was designing hospitals or airports or large commercial projects Chief would be my last choice but my business revolves around small residential and for that business model there is simply no better choice - for me.

The problem with this discussion is that "better" or "superior" is not being tied to any measurable criterion. Better for what? Certainly AC is more powerful (can handle bigger projects) and has more features. (And a much steeper learning curve.) But this is like saying that a 747 is "better" than a single engine plane. If your business is crop-dusting, it isn't better for YOU.

Well said. 

However, I am curious about the "steeper learning curve" comment.  For me, Chief has been the most difficult software product i've ever had to try and learn.  It just isn't intuitive or logical to me... 

• Upvote 1

Well said. 

However, I am curious about the "steeper learning curve" comment.  For me, Chief has been the most difficult software product i've ever had to try and learn.  It just isn't intuitive or logical to me... 

For a new user just starting with AC, I think there are many more tools and palettes to contend with. Also, you are dealing with Model View Options, Pen Sets, Partial Structure Displays, Renovation Filters, Layer intersection groups, Floor Cut Planes, Priorities of Building Materials, Complex Profiles, vast numbers of parametric settings, and a host of other things that have an impact on the graphic representations, but which also can produce stunning results once you've mastered them. Chief doesn't have so many variables. Where Chief is not logical is in trying to get a non-standard project to fit into its "closed rooms" paradigm, and then trying to figure out workarounds. (e.g. when your window is between floors.) Most of the difficulty is in doing non-standard stuff, where there isn't a video or reference book. Fortunately, there is this forum. If you want to include "things that you want to do which Chief wasn't designed to do, but learning how to make Chief do them anyway" as part of the learning curve, then I'd agree that a longer learning curve for Chief is warranted. 

Download Archicad trial and try designing a kitchen. Then search online to see how other guys do it.

You will RUN back to Chief.

Also for fun try fitting your room with baseboards, crown moldings and chair rails. lol

Hint - you have to individually set up a new wall type each time. Infinitely more flexible and powerful but Archicad is a real chore for this type of stuff. You actually need a full time staff to constantly update and create wall types and other items such as cabinets etc...

Archicad is a team effort type of software. Why do you think they invest so much energy making it collaborative? It's because you can't do it alone!

Now, the only thing that I wish Chief did have that Archicad really blows it out of the water with - is the ability to snap to objects in all views, elevation, cross sections etc. it's amazing how you just hover your mouse over an object like a wall or door or window and the object and its various components glow and give you feedback of what you are snapping to. Dimensioning is amazing as well.

Immensely more flexible and accurate.

But still not worth switching.

At least not for solo residential design.

Stop drifting and get back to work.

>Now, the only thing that I wish Chief did have that Archicad really blows it out of the water with - is the ability to snap to objects in all views, elevation, cross sections etc. it's amazing how you just hover your mouse over an object like a wall or door or window and the object and its various components glow

+1 on Visual Feedback

>Dimensioning is amazing as well.

Archicad dimensioning is very similar to Chief. ArchieCad you select dimension line hold control key and click points to add (much faster), Chief - use diamonds, drag diamond to a point or center line that you want dimensioned. Everything else in dimensions looks similar. I do like opportunity to edit value and supply fake [adjusted] dimension value.

I think favorites, with predefined items including text's with arrow and text[notes] organized per floor is a great ArchieCAd strength.

You derived your basement, quickly place all predefined items texts with arrows from your basement favorites and you could be done under 2 minutes vs Chief User Items are pretty slow process of placing Notes. Notes schedulers are very needed and missing.

For anyone considering Archicad (and is put off by the up-front expense) you should know that the Solo version of this software has recently been introduced in the North American market. It is similar to Start version, but with at least one significant difference.

You can read about it here:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2016/03/27/archicad-solo-has-limitations-and-thats-great/

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/solo-edition/

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using both Chief and ArchiCAD since the 90's, .....

Hope that helps.

That helped me a lot. 

I'm a structural engineer, but my main work are making residential drawings.

I have been using AutoCAD for many years (99% in 2D), but have been looking into, and tried, apps like CA, AC and various from Autodesk, for many years. 

After I while a give up. I have't been patient enough to use 500? 1000? hours to be "fluent". 

But, I can't postpone it anymore. I have to learn one of them...

It seems like my long AutoCAD-experience is a disadvantage when it comes to learning various 3D-software. I expect to use the same logic from AutoCAD in for example CA, which is obviously the wrong approach. I have always studied the training vidoes carefully....again and again..

I have been a computergeek since 1983, and have absolutely no problem learning new programs...except these types... At least to be "fluent" and effective.

The 3D-rendrings from CA doesn't look very impressive. Will it be possible to make images something like this (a crop from the full image), like the guttersystem, types of roof tiles,  that type of lighting/reflections +++ ?

And section details like the inserted one? (Revit-drawing from my housesupplier)

Rendring_and_Revit_sectiondetail.jpg

This is also the type of rendrings the realtor wants:

3D-rendrings_Bergen.jpg

The pics you posted are "Ray Traces", which are not the same as "Renderings".  Here's a sample "Ray Trace" I did in Chief.  The same view displayed only as a "Rendering" would not be as crisp but could be done using a variety of  techniques such as watercolor, watercolor with lines, vector, etc.

post-47-0-63752800-1468504056_thumb.jpg

The pics you posted are "Ray Traces", which are not the same as "Renderings".  Here's a sample "Ray Trace" I did in Chief.  The same view displayed only as a "Rendering" would not be as crisp but could be done using a variety of  techniques such as watercolor, watercolor with lines, vector, etc.

Thanks Joe. That cleared up a long time misunderstanding...I think. I would love some elaboration of the difference, if you have some spare time..?

I'm guessing that ray-tracing is taking into account how light rays are reflected, and then illuminate the "next" surface it hits, for 3-4 reflections? The "glossyness" of the reflecting material is also taken into the calculations..?

Is it only programs like 3DS Max that do this..? 

"...using a variety of  techniques such as watercolor, watercolor with lines, vector, etc."

...?

I'll guess the companies that have provided the images in my post, can use my future CA-drawings, and "finish them" in whatever program they use..?

Chief has a built-in "Ray Trace" capability.  You simply display a "Standard Render" view and invoke the "Ray Trace Tool".  You can let that run as long as needed to get the clarity needed.  Usually 4-8 passes is sufficient for a good photo quality.  Each pass will take more or less time depending on the model, the number of light sources, reflective materials, etc.  Your system specs (CPU, Memory, etc) are also factors in the time it takes.

It is also possible to use external programs like Lumion to do Ray Traces.

That helped me a lot. 

I have been using AutoCAD for many years (99% in 2D), but have been looking into, and tried, apps like CA, AC and various from Autodesk, for many years. 

After I while a give up. I have't been patient enough to use 500? 1000? hours to be "fluent". 

It seems like my long AutoCAD-experience is a disadvantage when it comes to learning various 3D-software. I expect to use the same logic from AutoCAD in for example CA, which is obviously the wrong approach. I have always studied the training vidoes carefully....again and again..

I have been a computergeek since 1983, and have absolutely no problem learning new programs...except these types... At least to be "fluent" and effective.

The 3D-rendrings from CA doesn't look very impressive. Will it be possible to make images something like this (a crop from the full image), like the guttersystem, types of roof tiles,  that type of lighting/reflections +++ ?

And section details like the inserted one? (Revit-drawing from my housesupplier)

Rendring_and_Revit_sectiondetail.jpg

3D-rendrings_Bergen.jpg

There is no question Chief can produce renderings as good as, if not better, than the examples you post above. However, in my experience Chief has the greatest learning curve if your projects aren't very simple homes.

Arnstein,

You are correct that thinking like AutoCAD is not going to work in Chief.  The key is realizing that Chief is Floor/Room based. 

Within a Floor Level you create Exterior Walls that encompass a set of Rooms.  Each Floor Level has a height and various other Defaults.  Rooms also have Defaults as do Walls, Doors, Windows, Cabinets, Roofs, etc. Almost any of these things can be modified for individual objects as you build the model.  Just remember that you aren't drawing lines and arcs.  You are building a structure that consists of spaces contained within the perimeter walls and the floors above and below.

It's a different way of thinking - more like stacking boxes than drawing on a sheet of paper.  All the paper output is done by sending any view of your model to Layout.  That can be almost totally automatic - but it requires some initial setup of Plan and Layout Templates.

That helped me a lot. 

Have you looked at this thread?

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/20-time-to-show-your-goodies/

• 2 weeks later...

Another one...

One can not compare Chief Architect to ArchiCad or Revit for that matter.

Chief is unique in its very own field, in such a way that the other two can't compare.

Now one could compare ArchiCad and Revit, yes, because both platforms were made with the same intended purpose.

Autodesk is slowly catching up....

• 5 years later...

Interesting discussion that I'm late to join in on.   I have two words that sums up why Archicad is better : Renovation filter.  I've been hoping that someday CA would incorporate this feature.   Interestingly, AC used to make it's users have an "existing" plan and a "new" plan, just as we now have to do in CA.    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, TomBiggs said:

I have two words that sums up why Archicad is better : Renovation filter.  I've been hoping that someday CA would incorporate this feature.

Since the recent advent of multiple reference files in Chief, I don't think the difference (or benefit of AC) in this area is as great as it used to be. I would also consider that Chief has had essentially the same functionality as AC's Graphic Overrides for quite a bit longer than AC. Further, the wood framing features in CA far surpass anything that AC has or probably will ever have. Once X14 gets some of its beta issues ironed out, unless you are firm with multiple employees who need to work on the same project at the same time, I don't think the choice is so obvious anymore, at least if you are primarily residentially-based.

• Upvote 2