Google Drive + OneDrive on one machine

rcmcdougle

Sorry for the off topic of Chief but... trying to make sense out of the integration of Windows 10 into my computing ecosystem. All Win 7x64 pro now with Office 2007 and Google Drive working well. New Surface Book laptop forcing the question of Win 10 integration.

My Google Drive has folders shared with different clients and hosted through different accounts. Office 365 seems an attractive upgrade as I migrate to Win 10 throughout. OneNote can replace Evernote it would seem... but I can't abandon Google Drive so I would need to run it beside OneDrive for full Office 365 functional benefits.

Anyone doing that now? What are the pot holes like? Any performance issues?

TIA

Robb

Placing my files in Microsoft's care is not attractive to me. I use multiple hard drives, Carbonite and Dropbox. Dropbox I use only for file transfers, not storage. Call me old fashioned but I distrust all these offers of storage without any exchange. What if something goes wrong, who will you ask for help?

DJP

DropBox keeps a copy of your files on your computer AND in the cloud and also allows files to be synched with multiple computers. In this way one can have copies of all files on a main computer in a DropBox folder and up to date, synched copies on other computers, and files backed up to the Cloud. I personally have 3 other computers that have all my Chief files synched to their hard drives and Drop Box back up in their cloud. In theory 4 copies of every file at all times.

OneDrive behaves in almost the exact same fashion and can't see why there would be a conflict with Google Drive. Been tempted by OneDrive and Office 365 but just dont need them at this point and DropBox seems like a great way to store back up files. Oh, BTW I have Carbonite as well.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the files on your computer(s)' physical drive live in your computer's DropBox Folder and in the cloud, so if DropBox goes nuts you still have your files on your hard drive(s). I did read where people lost data because of a problem with DropBox because they didn't synch certain files that were only in the cloud but it's rare and any valuable files you are not synching to your hard drive you are setting up for data loss.

Be wary of Google Drive.  Currently I have a real problem when Google Drive is running in the background with Windows 10 and Chief X8.  I used it for months with no trouble so don't know if the problem is with Google Drive, Windows 10, or Chief X8.  I get a constantly annoying Assertion Fail warning after working in Chief for 15 minutes or so.  Never had a problem with it in X7.

Currently I have to keep Google Drive off and only turn it back on when I am not working in Chief.  Some kind of memory leak issue I think but currently unresolved.

Up to now I have been very happy with Google Drive.  I also use Carbonite as an additional layer of backup which doesn't seem to have the same issue with Chief as Google Drive currently does. Not sure how many other Chief users, if any, are being effected like this.

Be wary of Google Drive.  Currently I have a real problem when Google Drive is running in the background with Windows 10 and Chief X8.  I used it for months with no trouble so don't know if the problem is with Google Drive, Windows 10, or Chief X8.  I get a constantly annoying Assertion Fail warning after working in Chief for 15 minutes or so.  Never had a problem with it in X7.

Currently I have to keep Google Drive off and only turn it back on when I am not working in Chief.  Some kind of memory leak issue I think but currently unresolved.

Up to now I have been very happy with Google Drive.  I also use Carbonite as an additional layer of backup which doesn't seem to have the same issue with Chief as Google Drive currently does. Not sure how many other Chief users, if any, are being effected like this.

Not the same problem Bryce but similar reliability issues with Drive. I have Win 7.

I have been running Google Drive for a few years and it has been a very reliable vehicle for keeping my multiple machines in synch. I have a paid account for most of my projects plus there are three folders in my Google Drive that are hosted by clients (created by them on their drives and shared with me) and our shared projects stay in synch.There can be trouble when we both try working on the same file but conflicting files get flagged as such and can be resolved. Where I have seen problems in Chief is when I save a big file - do a little more then try to exit and save. Google hasn't finished synching the previous save and chokes. Another issue is giving Google Drive time to finish updating before shutting down the workstation. Finally, I make sure that archive and temp files are in a folder not on the Google Drive tree.

Office 365 and OneDrive seem  inevitable and I just want to optimize that experience into my CAD heavy environment.

I use Google Drive and One Drive on all 3 PC's with no problems (I also have Carbonite on my main desktop rig). Just keep your files on your dedicated documents drive and copy files to the cloud drives. What I love about One Drive is that when you have Office 365 you get an entire TB of cloud storage. I've linked my phone to back up all my pics on that drive. Works like a charm.

I use both...sort of.  I used to use Drive exclusively but after upgrading to win 10 had some sporadic unpleasant issues.  Signed up for Office 365 with a TB of OneDrive storage.  It works like a champ, I sync between my laptop and desktop, and can access files with my phone.  Been using it for quite a while with no bumps in the road. It is now my go-to application.  I like that it stores my files on my computers as well as the cloud.  I have not noticed any issues with Drive and OneDrive not playing nice with each other. 

Ike

Question for the 'One Drive' users. Does it allow sending a link to a file that can be opened by someone who does not have One Drive similar to DropBox? When files are too large I send DropBox links to clients and they can open them even without a DropBox account, does One Drive work the same? Or it it necessary to have  One Drive account to open links?

I'm asking because I think I am paying 9.99 a month for a TB of storage in Dropbox without any Office apps and the Office 365 offer seems pretty compelling.

Thanks

Thanks Graham, are you still happy with One Drive?

Personally I think it is the best cloud system out there, especially if you are a Windows user. It's backed right into the OS, it's just another Drive, once setup there is nothing to manage, every program sees it, every file explorer command functions. All other devices stay synced, tablet, laptops, phone and more. They also have an app for IOS and Android. Have never had a problem, all files are backed up and can be retrieved from any where there is wifi or a data connection from any computer.

Graham

Another thing I find with the Google Drive backup is that it seems to spend most of its time re-backing up my User Library File (very large).  I don't understand why it has to re-back up the whole file instead of just those portions of it that have changed.

Has anyone noticed this in your other cloud backup systems?

Another thing I find with the Google Drive backup is that it seems to spend most of its time re-backing up my User Library File (very large).  I don't understand why it has to re-back up the whole file instead of just those portions of it that have changed.

Has anyone noticed this in your other cloud backup systems?

Not 100% sure but I believe that files are backed-up based on the last time they were accessed. Library files are accessed every time you click on a library Item.

Graham