Couldn't paste

MarkMc

Weird-two plans, likely started in X7. Copied from second plan-first plan would not let me paste. Opened new plan-paste fine. Tried different objects-no paste.

Tried to save as for the offending plan, still couldn't paste into it.

This is all on new machine, new install, Win 10.

I got around it-first did an edit area and copied the plan that I could not paste into and pasted that into a new plan. This was while waiting on the phone for support.

Then after getting off the phone and going about packaging up the plan to send in. I decided to open it again-presto works now.

Any ideas? ever run into this? I hope it is not something I run into more but ...

Have had similar copy/paste issues, can't find any reason for it happening. Had one the other day where I did a copy/paste, nothing appeared and nothing under the original, did it again nothing appeared and agian nothing under the original. Then did a copy moved  and pasted and it worked. Went back to move the original item copied and the two first ones were there, it's like they showed up late.

Graham

Scott got it to work without reboot. The plan I renamed wouldn't work, then closed it. Reopened it and it worked. Checked the original no working plan and that still did not work when I reopened it. Zipped it and sent it off to your folks to play with-I spoke with Michael on the phone so sent it to him since we had such a grand time about it all :)

Bottom line is I'm up and running.

I had to close and re-open for it to work. Tried for half hour late so, then was on phone with tech support for a while and nada. Reopened the original plan before I sent it in and the problem remained. Only the save as got to working.

I'm having trouble pasting text items within the plan...just text not any other items.

Chief help has suggested:

"Because you were able to copy and paste successfully in safe mode, this suggests a third party application is interfering with Chief Architect’s ability to copy and paste. To find the culprit, you can perform what is called a selective startup which allows you to choose only certain startup programs to start with your computer. Using a process of elimination, you can find which third party program is interfering with the copying and pasting of text, and then either remove that program or prevent it from launching on start up. For information on performing a selective startup, please view the following article by Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/run-selective-startup-system-configuration."

I'm hoping someone else is having this problem so I don't have to go thru this agonizing and time consuming process however I'm not seeing it.

Thanks, support suggested the programs to me as well. I told them that I doubt that because:

• the problem is not persistent, it's happened on two plans so far (one brand new in X8) but no others.
  • the first time I opened a new plan in Chief to make sure things were being copied and was able to paste into it no problem.
  • what has been running on the machine has been the same at all times
  • I'm pretty sure that during the first instance I tried shutting down everything else, which would be SOP for me, and tried again. Never worked until I closed and re-opened chief.
  • I haven't installed 2020 yet :) -may not

I'm going to keep it in mind and keep an eye out if it happens again, I expect it will.

I'm also going to rummage around for something to log what is going on. I think I can find something over at System Internals, just have to figure out which one to try first. I have a hunch that if it is another program I stand a better chance of finding out which when the problem is happening since it is not at all consistant.

FWIW-brand new factory clean install of Win10 with drivers only. I have turned off all of the data collection junk but haven't gotten to completely setting up the machine.

Here is what loads at start up.

Maybe we overlap with something odd?

The only one of these that I have ever had issue with is Logitech and that was back a ways with a different driver.

post-85-0-83090900-1460145863_thumb.png

I have had this happen and it happened again this morning. I was copy pasting text items and CAD. One piece of the text would copy, nothing else. I closed and reopened Chief and copy/paste worked fine.

I've had this happen all the time in the past. Someone suggested to clear the clipboard.  As soon as I did all worked fine.  Now I have a clear clipboard icon on the quick launch bar and when this starts I click the icon and all is good..

OK, I have yet to see this problem on my desktop, but the copy/paste issue reared its ugly head on my laptop yesterday. Super annoying. It was only a problem copying from a CAD detail and pasting into plan. I could paste back into the CAD detail just fine, just not from CAD detail to plan. Never seen anything remotely like this since I started using chief with X3. The only fix I could find was to copy something in plan view and paste into plan view which seemed to "reset" things. It happened several times too.

I noticed when I shut my laptop off at the end of the day to go home that a couple oddball programs or processes were automatically shut down as well. I just barely caught view of the little pop-up window and didn't recognize the names of the items being shut down.

I placed a clear shortuct button in my start per Robs suggestion and just hit it once in a while. The only errant thing I found was GeoForce Experience which I uninstalled. So far so good, will see.

I am unfamiliar with the clear shortcut you speak of. Can you elaborate? I searched clipboard in the Windows search bar but that came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

create new shortcut on desktop-in the "target box" paste

%windir%\System32\cmd.exe /c echo off | clip

Name it something you like, select an icon-I then pinned to start menu and for now left it on the desktop. (I keep both pretty clean.)

Can also assign a keyboard shortcut to it as long as it is in start menu or on desktop.

I have a folder in the start menu where I keep all shortcuts that have keyboards assigned. Keyboard will always be ctrl+alt+ "key you assign" I haven't done that yet since I need to sort through which will be unused, I typically have quite a few, and hoping I don't really need this that often.

Thank you Mark. I'll try that when I get back to my computer. I keep my desktop pretty clean as well and don't use all that many programs so I should actually have room to put that shortcut down in my taskbar. Hopefully it won't have to live there for very long. This particular issue is a huge annoyance to me. Absolute top of the list for current issues with Chief.

I am unfamiliar with the clear shortcut you speak of. Can you elaborate? I searched clipboard in the Windows search bar but that came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "echo off | clip"