Roof overframing AGAIN

Dennis_Gavin

Eric - Great!  Thanks for that.  I will look into it further tomorrow.  Just one question.

Dos that build over the plywood or just the framing?  I will check tomorrow to see

if I can determine the answer but thought I would ask now having just seen the video.

I think we have a new tool (maybe not brand new) for that which looks pretty cool (truss base).   Check out this video and tell me if this solves your question - specifically the section in the video dealing with the garage truss area (3:15)...

Curious, has anyone ever built, or ever seen, an overbuilt roof built with trusses? We always just frame on top of the old framing using a CalFil method that I don't think Chief will build but is easy to detail.

Are you asking if we have built in Chief or in real life? Because I've personally framed many overframes with trusses in real life.

Are you asking if we have built in Chief or in real life? Because I've personally framed many overframes with trusses in real life.

Thanks Michael, I was thinking real life. Must be a snow load thing perhaps? Here a simple 2 x 6 over frame usually does the trick.

Thanks Michael, I was thinking real life. Must be a snow load thing perhaps? Here a simple 2 x 6 over frame usually does the trick.

No, not a snow load thing.  I was one of the few framers I knew of who did it that way.  Not many people really knew how.  Its actually pretty complicated if you're not mathematically minded.  If you can do the math though its really pretty stinking fast and clean.  I just sheathed that whole side of the roof, did the math, popped my lines, installed clips or sleepers, set all the trusses, installed rat runs as necessary and sheathed it. 

If a person couldn't do the math, its really a lot more complicated than you might think to get them aligned.  It was my preferred method though.