Drew a pool in chief.

VisualDandD

I have a client who wanted a simple pool and I decided to see if I could model in chief.   At first I scratched my head a little, but then I figured out it could be done without much issue.

I created a terrain perimeter just larger than the pool.   I drew elevation lines to make it slope from 3'6 to 6' along this path.   I then drew the simple kidney shape (but it could be any shape).   I found a good reference point at one of the tangent points that I could use when "layering" up objects.   I actually just used copy and paste in place of the same shape over and over.

Layer 1 pool perimeter (moulding polyline set to 6' deep and width I wanted

Layer 2 tile line (same moulding polyline just set smaller)

Layer 3 Coping (added moulding and adjusted offset for proper look

Layer 4 Convert to road and add "curb" profile which was just a 24" radius.  It follows the terrain.

I then used the same shapes to create a hole in a larger slab I had made 

Painted materials and I had a no muss no fuss pool.   (I also added in some steps and swim out.   Using these techniques, I think I could probably model some pretty complex pools or free form objects.

I ran a quick run rendering movie of it.  (could stand a lot more detail) but just playing with the possibilities.   Moulding poly lines and roads with terrain can indeed model a pool fairly easily.

• Upvote 1

Nice Justin, Never thought of using a road. What rendering engine did you use?

I use Lumion

Here is the plan file if anyone wants to play around and see what I did.   I could get a little more elegant and use solids with subtraction...etc.   My only concern is that it look good from the top though.   The sloping radius bottom was the challenge.   First I tried 3d moulding polyline....but that was too fussy.   The road with curb definition worked great!

Pool was drawn on 2nd floor by accident ;)  FYI

Fixed file!

16-4-5 pool (2).zip

Justin, very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

I actually thought of you when I did it!   Your ability to think outside the box is one I admire.   I just sat here for a few minutes thinking....and it was fun when the idea came to me.   Thanks for the inspiration to think outside the box.  You have made me look at chief in a different manner when it comes to making it do what I want at time.

Thanks man!

I actually thought of you when I did it!   Your ability to think outside the box is one I admire.   I just sat here for a few minutes thinking....and it was fun when the idea came to me.   Thanks for the inspiration to think outside the box.  You have made me look at chief in a different manner when it comes to making it do what I want at time.

Thanks man!

You are welcome Justin, thanks again, You bet... Keep up the good works, that was really helpful OOB Tip.

Awesome work.  Thank you for sharing!

I've been using slabs (with a mirrored property texture) on top of the pool terracing. (X8 now allows for mirrors to show up in non RayTrace views.)

It looks very nice for renderings, but yours is over the top!

post-77-0-64970000-1460032720_thumb.jpg

Nice Val.

Justin did an amazing job with the pool, but i'm curious how having a terrain under the pool works with having a terrain for the house - can you have 2 terrains or did you export as a symbol or something for your composite model?

Nice Val.

Justin did an amazing job with the pool, but i'm curious how having a terrain under the pool works with having a terrain for the house - can you have 2 terrains or did you export as a symbol or something for your composite model?

Good question - curious too.

At first I was going to export as a symbol....but instead I just did two separate models and exported .DAE and combined in lumion.  I detailed a little further....here is what I am going to present to client.

I still need to go back and try it in case I wanted to do it all in chief.

The idea of pool surface, I have had a lot of good luck with using transparent fills when I do raytraces on window.  I put a skyline pick with some trees and it makes for great "reflections".   I think you could use a water picture (semi transparent) and find the right bump map.   I think you could do some cool things with the right bump, but I dont do a lot of ray trace these days.   Takes too much time.

I detailed a little further....here is what I am going to present to client.  I could go further, but this has accurate summer sun....and will give them all the ideas they need.

• Upvote 1

Nice Justin!  I love Lumion's water features. Watching the video the thought came to mind that I hope they don't have college age boys.  I can see a weekend when mom and dad are away, they have a party and some knucklehead(s) try to jump from the 2nd floor windows into the pool!  YIKES!

Thanks for sharing!

Nice Justin!  I love Lumion's water features. Watching the video the thought came to mind that I hope they don't have college age boys.  I can see a weekend when mom and dad are away, they have a party and some knucklehead(s) try to jump from the 2nd floor windows into the pool!  YIKES!

Thanks for sharing!

Yep...that water is super nice....AND super easy.

No kids at all.   Married couple mid 40's both professionals.  4000sf house ;)    Very nice people though.   As nice as they come..  Been a pleasure to work with.   We are just finishing up the foundation right now and hoping to wrap it for Thanksgiving!

post-3615-0-32886800-1460119654_thumb.jpg

post-3615-0-07188300-1460119664_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Justin, I am working on a pool using the road trick now. Great solution.

Very cool!

Post is up when you are done.  Love to see it.   I have a feeling I am going to be doing more and more as well!

• 6 months later...