cantilever truss

natmar

Go to solution Solved by Bill_Emery,

For truss to cantilever there MUST be a room below or use manual roof plans to drag roof plane where cant is wanted.

This is not correct. Read my post above and give it a try. It only works up to a certain point, but it should work just fine for your average cantilevered eve/soffit detail... At least that's what I thought we were talking about.

• Solution

Attached is a plan with cantilever trusses.

Michael mentioned some important information.  In addition to what he said, there are some settings that are interrelated, and determine how the truss will work:

• The bottom tip of the top chord must not be above the top of the bottom truss, or the cantilever will not generate.
  • Boxed eaves are generally used with the cantilever truss. 
  • The eave sub fascia determines the position on the eave closure panel, so the height of the roof plane must be adjusted with this in mind.
  • The extent of the eave overhang is another factor that must be considered
  • The pitch of the roof is another variable to consider.
  • And as Michael mentioned the roof baseline height above the wall top plate is another important factor.

I've included the plan so that you can play with these interrelationships.  All of this can be worked out mathematically, or simply by trial and error.

cantelever truss.plan

post-62-0-48687200-1459893227_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2