CAD Blocks

English

I have several CAD blocks in my library, for instance one for an 8"CMU foundation wall with a brick veneer.  I can add this to my plan as needed.  However if I need to change something and then replace the original in my library with it I just give it the same name and I get a message box that asks if I want to replace all copies of this block with the one I just modified.  I click on YES bit it doesn't -- the block in my library is the original unmodified one.

Is this a known bug or just in my plan?
Thanks

Alan

That's not a bug, just the way it works.  It will not replace anything in your library...only instances that are in your plan.  If you drop that old block from your library into the plan you'll see that it is automatically assigned a new name.  Probably something with an "_2" added to the block name. 

I have all my:

Window Details in individual CAD Detail Windows within a Window Detail Plan

Door Details in individual CAD Detail Windows within a Door Detail Plan

Railing Details in individual CAD Detail Windows within a Railing Detail Plan

etc.....

Each CAD Detail Window is named in the Project Browser as a way to identify it.

I have all my:

Window Details in individual CAD Detail Windows within a Window Detail Plan

Door Details in individual CAD Detail Windows within a Door Detail Plan

Railing Details in individual CAD Detail Windows within a Railing Detail Plan

etc.....

Each CAD Detail Window is named in the Project Browser as a way to identify it.

+1

Best way to keep the details updated.

So putting them in different plans is "better" than putting them as individual CAD Details in one plan?  Seems easier to have one plan open rather than having multiple plans that you have to hop back and forth between.

I guess horses for courses.   :)

Alan

Alan,

You could use a single Detail Plan with multiple CAD Details (mixed categories) but then you might have some different scales and it would be more difficult to find a specific Detail.  I just find it easier to organize by having separate Plans for each category.

It's similar to having the Folders in the Library.

Joe

One thing that I discovered the other day was the ability to change the scale of the insert by right clicking on its "box".  I had been using the Transform tool. :(  I guess right now as I don't have a ton of details I'll keep them all in my Template Plan as CAD Details together with my notes.  As it expands I'll move them to a separate Plan.

Thanks
Alan

Alan,

If you use Text Styles, etc for different scales (designated on a per layer basis) using different Annosets / Layer Sets for different scales, then when you change the scale of a layout box the text will conform to what's set in the Plan for that Layer Set.

That's a much better way of controlling the scale and annotation sizes.

I went ahead and put all my details in a single plan on Level One.  I set the scale to ¼".  I found out that I can send individual details to my layout by selecting Current Screen.  That will save me having to figure out the name of the CAD Detail and then opening it.  If I need to, I can rescale the detail once it's in the layout.  Also if I need to modify it I can copy the block, explode it and give it another name.  I think this will be more productive than dragging details from my User Library.

Alan