Multiple Monitors - Quick Q

LewisConDev

Hey guys, have a client meeting in 45 minutes - does anyone know how to create a new windowed view of the standard floor plan, where the same thing updates on two screens at the same time? Similar to what you can do in MS Office and Adobe Acrobat. Thanks!

You're right, that is an option, however with as much [insert naughty word] is on my screen I much prefer to extend rather than duplicate my display. That way, if I get an email or something that pops up, the client doesn't have to see it as well.

EDIT: Not to mention the benefit of being able to work on the floor plan and have the 3D view update in realtime for the client without having to switch my display methods constantly.

Hey guys, have a client meeting in 45 minutes - does anyone know how to create a new windowed view of the standard floor plan, where the same thing updates on two screens at the same time? Similar to what you can do in MS Office and Adobe Acrobat. Thanks!

Probably too late now, but I can tell you how to do it easily all with just Chief.

You can use either monitor to edit the model and it is reflected on the other monitor.

The trick to opening the same floor plan on 2 monitors is to double click the floor plans (any 2 plans will do to start) in layout.

Drag one floor plan to the second monitor.

Use the up and down floor arrows to display the floor you want - the same floor on each monitor. 

It's also easy to open a 3D view on the second monitor and edit the floor plan or the 3D on the first monitor and have the model dynamically change. 

This is done by opening the appropriate views and then dragging the tabs across to the second monitor.

All the views are dynamic.

This technique will allow you to run your own programs on monitor 1 and they will not display on the second monitor.

It's probably not perfect because you probably need to set up any windows or views you need on the second monitor before you start and then it is not easy to switch between views on the second monitor. 

I guess you could theoretically just drag a Chief window off the side of your main screen and have it drop onto the second monitor without seeing what is going on with the second monitor - I am not sure of how you want the 2 monitors located.

But if it is only a floor plan you want to share, the above method will work perfectly.

Probably too late now, but I can tell you how to do it easily all with just Chief.

You can use either monitor to edit the model and it is reflected on the other monitor.

The trick to opening the same floor plan on 2 monitors is to double click the floor plans (any 2 plans will do to start) in layout.

Drag one floor plan to the second monitor.

Use the up and down floor arrows to display the floor you want - the same floor on each monitor. 

It's also easy to open a 3D view on the second monitor and edit the floor plan or the 3D on the first monitor and have the model dynamically change. 

This is done by opening the appropriate views and then dragging the tabs across to the second monitor.

All the views are dynamic.

This technique will allow you to run your own programs on monitor 1 and they will not display on the second monitor.

It's probably not perfect because you probably need to set up any windows or views you need on the second monitor before you start and then it is not easy to switch between views on the second monitor. 

I guess you could theoretically just drag a Chief window off the side of your main screen and have it drop onto the second monitor without seeing what is going on with the second monitor - I am not sure of how you want the 2 monitors located.

But if it is only a floor plan you want to share, the above method will work perfectly.

Yeah, I was thinking about how to get fancy and do it in a layout and all that - and then decided just to deal with the situation as it was. I ended up craning my head around to stare at the TV screen as I was designing, so I got a little bit of a neck sore, but it was a great meeting and very productive. Thanks for all the suggestions!