roof plane breaks

jessde

Go to solution Solved by chief58,

X7

windows 10

This has got to be something simple I'm not doing. On the other hand since upgrading to a new computer  & to windows 10 I've had so many crashes , swirling blue spheres  of death, and other bizarre  glitches that I have smoke coming out my ears.

Anyway to the problem at the moment.

I placed a simple shed roof and drew a roof plane. I want to shape the roof plane over an offset entry. I think I have always simply used the break line tool to extend the portion of roof over the entry. Try as I might, the break tool does not work. I tested the breakwall tool on a wall and it works but yesterday after using it I couldn't get out of the breakwall tool mode and had to shut down and reopen.

Please someone tell me It's a simple fix.. If it's just a matter of forgetting what I've done in the past , well........I'm getting used to that! :unsure:

The 3 key is activating the same break tool you have down in the edit bar. Is it possible you were just selecting the wrong tool?

I'm sure I had the right tool as I tried it on a wall as well to see if it worked at all. It did work for wall but not for roof plane.??????

I don't understand the problem but it is working OK now. 

thanks for replying

If it worked on a wall then you had the wrong tool to do the break, there are 2 different tools one for wall break and the other for line break

Huh OK. Never knew that and wonder how it's worked for me in the past. 

Since I've always just clicked on the icon on my toolbar( and see only one break tool) how do I select between the two tools?

jeeze I'm getting simple minded!! 

... On the other hand since upgrading to a new computer  & to windows 10 I've had so many crashes , swirling blue spheres  of death, and other bizarre  glitches that I have smoke coming out my ears.

Interesting, I've found Windows 10 to be the most stable and well-polished version of Windows I've ever used. Maybe it's your computer - what did you get?

Huh OK. Never knew that and wonder how it's worked for me in the past. 

Since I've always just clicked on the icon on my toolbar( and see only one break tool) how do I select between the two tools?

jeeze I'm getting simple minded!! 

[Ctrl-B] to break walls

[3] to break lines, [3, 3] to do a complete break

I mapped [4] to break lines completely, as well, ever since X8 changed the way it works.

Interesting, I've found Windows 10 to be the most stable and well-polished version of Windows I've ever used. Maybe it's your computer - what did you get?

[Ctrl-B] to break walls

[3] to break lines, [3, 3] to do a complete break

I mapped [4] to break lines completely, as well, ever since X8 changed the way it works.

You may be right. My computer froze yesterday. Couldn't access anything or even shut it down properly. Ended up just shutting it off and trying again this morning. It's working for the moment!!

It's  an Asus X550J   Win 10  64 bit   i7 4710HQ 2.50 GHz    8GB ram

can't remember the video  card but it's supposedly a gaming system with graphics that support 3 D  .

Hoping I can finish what I need today then take it for check.

Thanks for the info .. I haven't yet downloaded X8 as it just seemed like one more thing that may cause confusion at the moment.

The break line tool you were looking for would only show up after your roof plane was selected...down in the edit toolbar at the bottom of your screen or in the toolbar that pops up when you right click. 

OK thanks I'll be aware of that now. I believe I tried that as I tried every thing I could think of but as you read through the other conversations ,it seems the main issue could be my computer. When I used the breakwall tool the other day the tool locked in and I could not select another tool. Sometimes the system crashes or just goes into the swirling sphere mode.

Anyway I appreciate your time and that of the others that helping me get through this.