SAM & Template New Drawing Methods

Paramount

Sorry for the duplication but I searched for both "SAM" and "Template" I forgot to bookmark for later use that had to do with starting new drawing methods, one had a good video in it? 

I wish people label these threads better so it's easier to search or maybe I don't know what to search for? Anyone have bookmarks?

I use a modified version of the SAM.  Basically I use a Template.  But in my world any Plan/Layout combination is a set of Templates that can be used to start a new project.  It's just a matter of deleting the things in the Plan that I don't want for the new project.  All Cameras (Section and Elevation) are kept along with the Terrain Boundary, etc.  Floor Plans, Framing, Foundation & Roof Planes are deleted to start fresh.  I utilize a "Clean Layers" Layer Set to make it easy to clean up the project. 

Note:  All Schedules are in CAD Detail Windows along with my Site Area Analysis Text Block and a few other things so they automatically carry over.

Joe

How can you save camera views when you don't have anything to go by?  For instance when I use the tool to create the four elevation views it locates the cameras in the correct position away from the building to allow space for the dimensions strings.  With a template you don't know what size the building will be.

Thanks

Alan

Joe

How can you save camera views when you don't have anything to go by?  For instance when I use the tool to create the four elevation views it locates the cameras in the correct position away from the building to allow space for the dimensions strings.  With a template you don't know what size the building will be.

Thanks

Alan

Just drag cameras back and/or forth as necessary.  Easy peasy. 

Thanks Michael but it doesn't really save any time by saving the elevation cameras as one click will add them automatically in a new plan.

Alan

Will one click automatically place, resize, and organize those views in your layout and add masks, labels, macros, other notations, etc.? I don't think so.

• Upvote 1

The point is that once you send the views to layout that part of the job is done as long as you don't delete the Cameras.  The Layout Box is in the Layout and when you make changes to the Plan those Layout Boxes are updated. 

You just work in the model and your ConDocs are virtually done.  You might have a little bit to do but not much.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/3/2016 at 11:18 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

I use a modified version of the SAM.  Basically I use a Template.  But in my world any Plan/Layout combination is a set of Templates that can be used to start a new project.  It's just a matter of deleting the things in the Plan that I don't want for the new project.  All Cameras (Section and Elevation) are kept along with the Terrain Boundary, etc.  Floor Plans, Framing, Foundation & Roof Planes are deleted to start fresh.  I utilize a "Clean Layers" Layer Set to make it easy to clean up the project. 

Note:  All Schedules are in CAD Detail Windows along with my Site Area Analysis Text Block and a few other things so they automatically carry over.

Joe,

I'm cleaning up my template and noticed you said " I utilize a "Clean Layers" Layer Set to make it easy to clean up the project". Would you mind elaborating further on your method? I also keep the following CAD Detail Management data in my template. My "CAD DETAIL NOTES" (inside the "CAD DETAIL MGNT") is organized in such a way that I can add or subtract from the verbiage as required and it still fits nicely on the Layout. Each section can be edited individually.

CAD Detail Mgnt.JPG

CAD Detail Notes.JPG

Scott,

My "Clean Layers" Layer Set has all layers "ON". Things I want to keep: Exterior Elevation Cameras, Terrain Perimeter, Property & Setback Lines, Cross Section Lines, etc are "Locked" .  By selecting that Layer Set I can then do a Marquee Select and Delete everything else.

• Upvote 2

I wish Joe or somebody could do a video of his process from start to finish. 

That is, take an existing plan and construction docs and do a whole new different plan using this method. 

I underetand the process, but I'd like to see it in action. 

Only because I'm sure it's not as straight forward as it sounds. 

A little like Rembrandt saying, "sure, you just take a few brushes and some paint and splash it on a canvas"...

How do you use the profile.plan and profile.layout files.   Do I have this correct?

- You create a plan profile template...with the all the layers and anno sets you typically use, setup cameras for elevations, setup sections to use on all future plans (some you may use...some you may not), create schedules in Cad Details that will fill as you place objects...and so on.  Are the "details" you use stored in a separate plan file...or in Cad Details?  

- Then you open your profile plan and send to your profile.layout all the drawings in the plan.  You send these to the pages you typically use...plot plan, foundation, framing plans, roof plans, sections, details etc.  

Now you have templates for both the way you want them....

Now what...how do you use these.  I understand how to use the plan template...but how do you use the layout template?  I think I know...but I think it would be helpful if you told us how you use these templates.  

Nice video Perry...that sure gave me a road map as to what can be done.  Very helpful. 

17 minutes ago, SNestor said:

How do you use the profile.plan and profile.layout files.   Do I have this correct?

I have them stored in my jobs file for each new version, like, X8 jobs. That way I know which version it goes with. You can always just copy the template plans and layout to wherever you want and change the names.

- You create a plan profile template...with the all the layers and anno sets you typically use, setup cameras for elevations, setup sections to use on all future plans (some you may use...some you may not), create schedules in Cad Details that will fill as you place objects...and so on.  Are the "details" you use stored in a separate plan file...or in Cad Details?

of course ,a new home is a different template.  Details are stored in my lib. I have a thousand or more. I do have the details I use the most already on the layout template.

- Then you open your profile plan and send to your profile.layout all the drawings in the plan.  You send these to the pages you typically use...plot plan, foundation, framing plans, roof plans, sections, details etc.  Yes

Now you have templates for both the way you want them.  You have to re-name and re-link the floor plan to the layout.

Now what...how do you use these.  I understand how to use the plan template...but how do you use the layout template?  I think I know...but I think it would be helpful if you told us how you use these templates.  after you open the template floor plan , you save -as (new job name), then open the template layout and re-link the new named floor plan to it.

Nice video Perry...that sure gave me a road map as to what can be done.  Very helpful. 

This is always such a great topic and I've been messing with templates, both Layout and Plan, for many years and i think the reason for Chief's tools and approach have finally sunk in. You will find as many ways to use those tools as there are users but if you understand the tools and how they work you can develop a strategy that works for you.

I just had a reason to change my Layout template and thought I would record the thought process I use. It's not perfect but it works for me and again if you understand how Chief's tools work you can create a template (or SAM) method that works best for you.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

This is always such a great topic and I've been messing with templates, both Layout and Plan, for many years and i think the reason for Chief's tools and approach have finally sunk in. You will find as many ways to use those tools as there are users but if you understand the tools and how they work you can develop a strategy that works for you.

I just had a reason to change my Layout template and thought I would record the thought process I use. It's not perfect but it works for me and again if you understand how Chief's tools work you can create a template (or SAM) method that works best for you.

Fabulous!  Thanks Larry....a great help video.

Nice job Larry! Thanks for sharing your perspective on "one" of the millions of ways to use Chief. For me, that is the most frustrating part. Show the how to do it and I can learn it but when there are a zillion ways do the same thing I become overwhelmed quickly. Until recently I have been hit and miss with design work but now I'm all in and have the time to focus on developing a method. Chief is not something you just load on you pc and start building great plans...well actually I did but now realize I have a lot of garbage from making "This will do for now decisions". To be proficient and anything I have to immerse myself or it simply won't stick. Don't know if there are others like me out there but for me I am glad to have you guys to call upon for help and support.

Thanks to all those who give back what they have learned! 

"Chief is not something you just load on your pc and start building great plans...well actually I did but now realize I have a lot of garbage from making "This will do for now decisions"

...amen brother. 

This is why this forum is so great. These guys give us the "why" beyond the "how". 

22 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Larry if you remove the (clip camera) check on your elevation camera's, you won't have to keep adjusting the view size for them.

I also think there is a really good case to be made for the Save As Method because constantly changing your template can be a PIA. Case in point above with Perry's suggestion. If I had used some form of the Save As Method I would have changed that clip to sides setting (because I knew it needed changing) and it would have been good for all future plans.

With the Template method you sort of have to save up a couple/few changes you want to make then go back and change your Template plan file and when your busy it's really easy to not make those changes and just use your not so great template file, which is exactly what I was doing. It makes for more work that doesn't have to be done. All good stuff and thanks again Perry for the reminder.