Front Elevation Questions & more

ACADuser

Working on a plan I did in 2006 in Autocad I am recreating in Chief for another project.
The extra lines on layer Picture are the CAD lines so turn them off if they get in the way.

Several problems and questions have come up so you advice will be appreciated.

1. I created a 3D molding using a CA bracket & a 3D box. The intent is to get the 16" high band (1" thick) to be the base of the molding
and the bracket to self space at 24" on center. The problem is the at the outside corner part of the brace is shown.
Should I use a different approach to this molding? Or did i do something wrong in creating it?
I would also prefer not to have the vertical lined at the 24" interval.

2. Trying to place a railing (no room def) on the front False balcony at the second floor. The molding bottom needs to be between the ceiling & floor platform & I can not get it to move there.
I used some millwork objects to fill the space but they do not match the railing I am using on the front porch. How to get railing between floors.
I guess I could create a room at that location but my experience has been this come with a new set of problems.
For me the p-solids are easier to work with for the front pop out.

3. the p-solid at that location does not want to form through the wall. So with the porch with arches are you folks finding a better object type to build them
Especially when they turn the corner like this porch does.

4. Something going on here with the wall surface. Should I have created another room above the 2nd floor to get the tower to build correctly?

Thanks for your time.

post-2435-0-29708000-1459691102_thumb.jpg

Omar.plan

Thank you David for your time, no need to spend you weekend hours for me. :)

Let me see if I can expand on the original comments I made.

This is a request for help using 3D moldings that have a repeating pattern. I could not get the pattern to wrap the outside corner of the tower, this is a Shadow board of sorts & the corner junction produces a part of a bracket that should not be there.

1. I created a 3D molding using a CA bracket & a 3D box. The intent is to get the 16" high band (1" thick) to be the base of the molding
and the bracket to self space at 24" on center. The problem is the at the outside corner part of the brace is shown.
Should I use a different approach to this molding? Or did i do something wrong in creating it?
I would also prefer not to have the vertical lined at the 24" interval.

This is about using a railing that is NOT aligned with a floor platform. Reason being is that the shape of the balusters does not match the railing balusters.
Perhaps I'm being too picky but I still would like to know how to use a railing that the bottom is below the adjacent room floor?

2. Trying to place a railing (no room def) on the front False balcony at the second floor. The molding bottom needs to be between the ceiling & floor platform & I can not get it to move there.
I used some millwork objects to fill the space but they do not match the railing I am using on the front porch. How to get railing between floors.
I guess I could create a room at that location but my experience has been this come with a new set of problems.
For me the p-solids are easier to work with for the front pop out.

I was able to Ctrl+Drag the p-solid to a width of 16"  to fix my problem but I also wanted to know if any other object is easier to work with in elevation & plan views?

3. the p-solid at that location does not want to form through the wall. So with the porch with arches are you folks finding a better object type to build them
Especially when they turn the corner like this porch does.

You did a good job of showing how to trouble shoot the odd wall anomalies but it seems that I should be able to correct the walls without using band-aids. :)

4. Something going on here with the wall surface. Should I have created another room above the 2nd floor to get the tower to build correctly?

Item #1: 

I would probably just use a distributed object for those brackets using any number of methods for the distribution (including a polyline distribution path).  Its a lot easier to add, delete, or otherwise change the layout on a case by case basis. 

Item #2:

Might be another way, but just size your railing section appropriately, cut and paste into a new plan and create a symbol.  You will be able to much more easily control your symbol than you could your wall.

Item #3:

Like you did, I would have probably used polyline solids as well (just a tool I'm pretty comfortable with) however I would probably convert to a solid and use the boolean operations to clean it up a bit.  Having said that, this thread is worth a look...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8456-ca-work-on-this-moiw-multiple-openings-in-a-wall/page-2?hl=arches

In short, you can pretty easily use a wall and window/door openings for this as well...

OR a post to beam railing in conjunction with symbols or polyline solids for the arches. 

Thanks Michael, I redid the molding as flat & did as you suggested with the brackets. Not automatic but manageable.

Railing as a symbol, that could work. I;ll give it a try.

I added a 3rd floor just for the tower & that cleaned up the walls a little.

Some issues are being caused by the partial roof at the garage as it is below the plate height & generating extra walls. That is what David was covering with a material region.

I have yet to see how to fix that. It is more obvious in the Perspective Floor Overview of the 1st floor. You can see the non-stucco walls Chief is making .

Off to read the link you provided.

If you take a cross section before and after you will see it modifies some eave/roof heights doing it this way (particularly for the front of garage). I suppose Acad knows if that works or not, but there is no question the auto-feature cleans up part of the modeling.

Great tips in the video Johnny. Thanks

I was going to notch the block wall, see attached.

I adjusted the roof planes & some of the issues resolved.Also moved the short wall at entry & the porch to garage face junction resolved.

But the actual junction is that way in real life but Chief will not deal with it.

post-2435-0-03809800-1459863540_thumb.jpg

post-2435-0-01758900-1459863679_thumb.jpg

Here is my take:

https://youtu.be/rbz2R1WIfVU

DJP

David

I had a similar issue that you fixed at the beginning of the video. As it happens that item on my wall that looks exactly like what you were seeing was in fact a stud on the end of an interior wall that butted up against the outside wall. I went into the plan and pulled that internal wall away from the outside wall and it made the anomaly disappear. So for an elevation I did that so it looked clean and when I went to print the second floor plan I just put the end of the wall back where it belonged. Alan