Deck framing

chief58

I could not find or cause to be created automatically any deck framing. I know this is annoying but you can either send to Tech Support and hope for a timely solution, draw the deck framing manually or start over. I have never seen the software do particularly this since Version 4.

DJP

Thanks Michael much appreciated that fixed it, guess I don't understand there reasoning since whenever I built a deck it had the floor jsts and then the decking I had the planking under floor finish thinking it would be the decking which it did show the finish with not framing, not looking at it when it says jsts and planking once I got rid of the floor finish and just put in the floor jsts and the planking as the decking it worked out, thank you again you saved me a few hairs  :)

Thanks Michael much appreciated that fixed it, guess I don't understand there reasoning since whenever I built a deck it had the floor jsts and then the decking I had the planking under floor finish thinking it would be the decking which it did show the finish with not framing, not looking at it when it says jsts and planking once I got rid of the floor finish and just put in the floor jsts and the planking as the decking it worked out, thank you again you saved me a few hairs  :)

You bet.  I think the reasoning is that decks are a unique structure with 2 framing layers rather than a finish that spans the entire floor.  Come to think of it, that's exactly what the Help files said but I didn't realize what it meant till just now.   I actually cut that part off the quote because it seemed unnecessary but I guess it was...

"A Deck room is an exterior-type room that uses deck planking and framing to create a floor platform rather than using a floor finish that spans the entire room area."

A floor finish in other words covers every square inch while deck planking is multiple pieces of framing material.   

Decks make a good tool for lattice top patio covers.

Yep. That's a pretty cool idea Perry. For anyone unfamiliar:

The width, spacing, and direction for the top framing layer for the deck is controlled via the Deck tab...Deck Planking. The width and spacing for any additional layers is controlled via the Deck tab...Deck Joists. You can only have one unique top layer (planks) but you can have multiple additional layers beneath that (joists). The additional layers will all have the same width and spacing but could be separated with an Opening (No Material) layer . The depth of all the aforementioned materials are controlled via the room Structure tab...Planks, Joists.

You can get very creative by checking "Keep deck framing after the deck room is deleted". 

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Perry,

I am trying to force the the Deck Joist to run parallel with my Floor Joist. I've done this before by changing the Joist direction in the "Deck" dbx but this time nothing seems to work. I don't want it like the image below. I'd be happy to post a video of what all I am doing if that will help.

Thanks,

Desk Framing.PNG

Perry,

What you suggested worked! Check out the video if you have time. There are a couple of other items you might find interesting.

1) Stair landing Railing. Shows balusters and Newel post bit displays a solid panel

2) Eave over stairs is not filling in.

3) Eave and Soffit over Deck is lower than rest of roof.

Thanks again,

Scott, The problem with the solid looking railing is that both your Width and Spacing settings for the balusters is 2".

These settings mean that you have 2" balusters at 2" ON CENTER, which means they are abutting each other with no gap between.

• Upvote 1

Scott, For your deck room try deleting the Ceiling and select "Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling".  As for the overhang above the stairs, open the Roof Plane Specifications > Options > Deselect "Default to Overhang" and set length to same as extended overhang.  And one question you did not ask is your cantilevered joists with the little joiner blocks?  Is that the way they build on the beach? Select your outer stringers and make them non bearing. It is a little counter intuitive but framing will make more sense and possibly weather the next storm.

• Upvote 1