Point to Point Dim Tool not resizing

wolftide45

Go to solution Solved by wolftide45,

The ptp tool will dimension to walls, similar to the manual dimension tool, but I thought the ptp tool relocates freely to whatever point the marker is moved. I cannot move the marker at all unless it locates a wall. What setting am I missing? Thx

You must zoom in to select a point marker, once it is selected you can move it by dragging or using the dimension string to locate it. The marker is just an object like any other but due to it's own dimensions it is hard to select unless you zoom in to do so, that is the key and has nothing to do with walls or any other object. You just do it.

DJP

• Upvote 1

The way you've explained it is the way I've always been able to use it. Select the marker and use the drag handle to place the marker where I needed it to be. For some reason, I cannot do it currently...I've enclosed a plan template that I use, maybe you can see what I'm talking about....thx David

PTP.plan

• Solution

ok, I got it. David, you were all over it, thx. I finally drew a selection box over the marker and realized I wasn't selecting the marker but the dimension line. as long as you still have the ptp tool selected, I don't think you can select the marker. once you select the normal pointer tool you can select any leg of the marker and drag and move it. thx guys for the help

...as long as you still have the ptp tool selected, I don't think you can select the marker. once you select the normal pointer tool you can select any leg of the marker and drag and move it...

You are correct.  The key is to be in either Select Objects mode (Space) or using the point marker tool.  Either of those will allow for very easy selection of that point marker. 

Actually, Michael, I think the recommended way in Chief to select any object is with a right click (saw it in one of the videos once), but that to me is counter intuitive and really takes some getting use to. But then again maybe this is in instance where it make sense.

Actually, Michael, I think the recommended way in Chief to select any object is with a right click (saw it in one of the videos once), but that to me is counter intuitive and really takes some getting use to. But then again maybe this is in instance where it make sense.

Ya, now that you mention it that's how I recall they first teach you to select things in the users guide. I quickly abandoned that technique pretty early on though and now I only ever use it when I'm having a tough time finding a particular edit tool. I'm wondering now if I should consider using it more often. It's really not a bad technique and might be quicker in some circumstances. Thanks Mickey...Is Mickey your name?

It's a nick name I was given when I played baseball in school. I was a switch hitter (not all that good) and there happen to be switch hitter at the time who played for the Yankees who was very, very good.  It just stuck. Real name is Bill though.

I agree that learning to use the right click to select things is Chief is probably going result in increase productivity in the long run. But when you are left clicking in every other program it is tough to make the transition in Chief. I do try to remember to right click whenever I am having trouble selecting things, however.