Reverse idea-issue

johnny

The first few box windows i've done have been using corner boards and material regions.  However, i think the more logical way to do this type of treatment is using wall layers/thicknesses to relate the detail i am looking for.  The windows should be "inset" into the finish layer.

I made a video to explain the issue since its hard to type it.

issue_file.plan

Johnny,

Once you have blocked them together you can change the Mullion Depth...Outside on the Options panel of the Mulled Unit Specification dbx.

These ones are -6" for demonstration purposes.

Although, watching your vid again, do you want mullions between the windows or do you want the wall there?

If you want to see wall there, you need to turn the Exterior Casing off.

Be aware that the part plan you posted can be a problem because you don't have a room behind the windows, so Chief can get confused between internal and external.

post-106-0-19966100-1459592078_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-21067700-1459593148_thumb.jpg

You actually have to suppress interior casing too if you want to keep those windows from automatically joining together.  I think the way windows work...as soon as casing touches they join together thereby removing that wall section between them.  Probably better off just suppressing the casing and drawing that in manually. 

You actually have to suppress interior casing too if you want to keep those windows from automatically joining together.  I think the way windows work...as soon as casing touches they join together thereby removing that wall section between them.  Probably better off just suppressing the casing and drawing that in manually.

Michael,

Yes, but it's not quite as simple as that.

You don't actually have to supress the casing to get the wall instead of the mullion.

As long as the casing width less the Overlap Frame setting is less than half the distance between the windows, you will get the wall (ie, the casings don't bump each other).

As soon as the casings less the Overlap Frame amounts are large enough to bump into each other, you get mullions and no wall between the windows. 

Note that it's not only the casing size, but the Overlap Frame distance comes into it as well. 

There should be no need to manually draw the casing once you can manipulate the above.

It seems that this has been pretty well thought out by the guys at Chief.

Michael,

Yes, but it's not quite as simple as that.

You don't actually have to supress the casing to get the wall instead of the mullion.

As long as the casing width less the Overlap Frame setting is less than half the distance between the windows, you will get the wall (ie, the casings don't bump each other).

As soon as the casings less the Overlap Frame amounts are large enough to bump into each other, you get mullions and no wall between the windows. 

Note that it's not only the casing size, but the Overlap Frame distance comes into it as well. 

There should be no need to manually draw the casing once you can manipulate the above.

It seems that this has been pretty well thought out by the guys at Chief.

You are correct Glenn.  That's pretty much how I understood it to be.  My explanation may have been a little oversimplified though.  I only said Johnny had to suppress interior casing because they wouldn't work as they were in his particular plan.  I just didn't want to suggest adjusting casing down to a size that was smaller than what it was actually supposed to be. 

The real problem is that you can only manipulate those numbers so far and they won't allow for a good handful of real world settings without a little manual work. 

Thank you both for the help. I've done these windows in Vectorworks and have to say it is much better in CA for creation method. The only difference in Vectorworks is I can save this type of window setup with the walls etc in a block to use over and over. Wish that was true in CA - but I remain hopeful.

I've actually learned a lot about that window "overlap frame" issue so that was more helpful than even just my issue.