How to Reuse Details from Layout to Layout

A_Joseph_PE

Good Evening All,

I was wondering if somebody can give me a quick idea as how to use details from layout to layout?  I have some standard details that I am needing to put into almost every plan set I develop, but importing them over and over is a PITA.

Any quick tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Appreciate it.  I have been using CA for a while, but only getting more into the software recently to do some simple additions and what not for my clients that don't want to pay for a Designer/Drafter and an Engineer for small stuff.

I'm tired of using the "Brute Force Method" all of the time, ha!

I appreciate it.

I keep all my details in my lib. You need to just put them in your layout template. Any layout can be saved as a template plan to use over and over again. I just open a template layout and install any detail on my detail page. Some here do it differently. My templates have everything you need to just start drawing. plan, foundations, sections, elevations,, details, all camera views, interior and exterior. They are all ready to go just by opening it.

1.  Create all your details in a plan and save it to a permanent location.

2.  Send the plan to your default Layout, be sure it's sent to Page 0.

3.  Arrange the layout the way you want.

4.  File > Templates > Save as template

5.  Save it to the Templates Folder.  Create a new sub-folder to make it easier to find.

6. File > Close all views

7. File > New Layout from Template > choose the one you just created.

8.  "Do you want to use this file as your default template?"  > Yes

9.  Close all views.

10. This should now open when you "Send to Layout."

I strongly recommend that you put your details into a detail window (or multiple windows) in your LAYOUT file, and then send that window to that same layout. If you save the layout as a template, the details will be there for every layout. If you have a fair amount of details, there is no reason to clutter up the PLAN file with them. Each detail window can have a separate scale, and can be automatically labeled.

Once I found out about CAD Details I added one for all of my details and notes in my template Plan so they are there to send to a layout as needed.  Saves a bunch of time.  I guess you can add them to your User Library but then you still have to find somewhere to drag them to.

Alan

I use a different method.  My details are created on Floor 1 of Plans created from the "CAD Block Detail Template".  I then save them to "CAD Detail Windows" in that Plan, name that CAD Detail (it will then show in the Project Browser) and then I delete the detail on Floor 1 so I can create the next detail.

I have a different ":Detail Plan" for different types of details (Door, Window, Foundation, Framing, Roof, etc) which act as a sort of Folder System.  These "Detail Plans" are saved in "C:\Users\<MyName>\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X? Data\Projects\Details" so they are always available.

As I need a detail I send it to my Layout on whatever page I need.  If it's a standard detail that will be used on all (or at least most) projects then I save it to my Default Layout Template.  The Layout knows where that Detail is so I can easily access it and make modifications if needed.  I use CAD Detail Windows in the Project Plan File (and the "Default Plan File") only to hold Schedules, Common Notes, etc that I use regularly and don't want to store in the Library.

This system works because you can send to Layout from multiple Plan Files.  By having these separate "CAD Block Plans" for your details you never have to go searching for a detail you had in a prior project. 

I'm using the term "Default" rather than "Profile" because that's the terminology Chief uses in the "Preference Settings".

• Upvote 1