Mulled Windows in Schedule

English

I have several mulled windows but they show up in the schedule as individual windows.  For example one mulled window shows a tag on the plan  as W3 and the other as W8 an din the schedule with individual headers.  Shouldn't they show up as a mulled unit with a common header?
Thanks
alan

I have several mulled windows but they show up in the schedule as individual windows.  For example one mulled window shows a tag on the plan  as W3 and the other as W8 an din the schedule with individual headers.  Shouldn't they show up as a mulled unit with a common header?

Thanks

alan

In the Label for the mulled unit check the radio button "Show Single Label for Entire Unit"

On a similar note, if I mull 3 28/52 together what should the total length of the unit be?  Is it dependent on how close I put the windows to each other?  If so what is the correct distance between them?  My 3 units are showing in the schedule as W04-10152MU and their total width 121".  Three 32" wide windows should measure 96" right but doesn't the manufacturer but a filler in between each window?

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

It depends on the manufacturer.  Some use a filler between and others just a frame around the outside with the units butted together.  You probably need to decide how you want it in the plan depending on the way the manufacturer does it.

I've even had some manufacturers that sent the pieces separately to be "mulled in the field".  For that reason I generally show the individual unit labels rather than a single label for the mulled unit.

Alan, there is a problem with mulled windows and schedules. This has been confirmed (see link) but hasn't been fixed yet. This has been a problem even in previous versions.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5150-schedules-and-mulled-windows/?hl=%2Bmulled+%2Bwindows

I wouldn't call what the moderator said in that thread a confirmation that it's a problem.  They just said they would share the behavior with the team.  The team may very well have looked at it and said "That's how its supposed to work". 

Anyway, I really think they work exactly like they're supposed to .  I responded with my explanation in that thread so as not to hijack this one. 

This might answer your question, I'm not sure, but...

You can "mull" windows together so long as they're within 24" of each other. The "mullion" width is simply decided by how far you space the windows from each other. If you uncheck "Single Wall Hole" on the options tab for the mulled unit, the openings will frame separately. So, if you want a single stud between them, then space them accordingly. In that case, its wouldn't truly be a mulled unit in my opinion...just 2 (or more) windows with some shared molding(s).

Michael

I guess I shouldn't have used the word stud.  If for instance the manufacturer adds a filler between the individual windows to mull them together and that filler is 1½" thick then does setting the Minimum Distance Between Windows to 1½" space them apart 1½"?
Thanks

Alan

Michael

So if the manufacturer adds a say a 2" filler between the casings how do I set that -- set the minimum distance to 2"?

Thanks

Alan

You just need to do the math. It depends on your frame and sash settings and the window manufacturer's frame and sash construction. All the minimum separation does is tells the program the minimum distance you want between any given window frames.

Sorry to be pedantic over this Michael, but to get the correct rough opening I would need to

a.) determine the thickness of the filler that the manufacturer used when they mull the units

b.) set the windows apart from each other to account for the mull.

I am assuming for this situation that the manufacturers frame and sash settings are the same as CA defaults.

I am also assuming for this situation that the rough opening for the two mulled windows that is shown in the window schedule is a function of the rough opening for each window plus how much I set them apart from each other to account for the mull.

Am I out in left field on this?
Thanks
Alan

Stop assuming anything. If you are going to choose the window manufactures for the given project, then you are going to have to put in some time learning how that particular manufacture put the units together. Most, if not all door and window manufactures will have details on their website covering the various situations, and will have literature readily available to describe the process, and give their suggested rough opening. 

I think, and I don't mean to offend, that you are also assuming Chief Architect is going to replace you a designer and make multiple decisions and standards for you....it won't.