Story Pole Question

English

Alan:

Doesn't that defeat the whole idea of having a story pole in the first place?  I don't think you can do what you want to do without going manual on your markers and any associated text.  Near as I can tell, everything shown on the storypole dimensions is on one layer (dimensions, automatic) ... at least that's what I get when I select the dimension string.  It's a little weird that if you set the line style to a "no material" type, you can still see the text and the marker fills but all the other lines (including the marker circles) don't show.  Too early for me to wrap my head around that at this time.

I set the top of terrain to 0" (I make sure the terrain is in the proper location against the house) and then do dimensioning off that because most of the plan checks around here need grade to various locations on the house. My sections show construction floor elevations.

I haven't had any problems with incorrect heights.

I can now set my grade as 0 on the story pole and the dimension label heights are then based on height above grade (terrain height). This has just been since the latest update.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something but I can now show the highest ridge height with a dimension above grade and that is a improvement on my con docs.

Sherry,

Just to clarify. 

There are 2 settings that you can choose from to act as a reference level for the Auto Storey Pole Dimensions. 

1. Grade Level

2. 1st Floor Subfloor 

The second one is self explanatory - it is Chiefs default zero height (well, I thought that I would explain it anyway!!).

Using the first one, you need to specify a value which offsets the storey pole zero level - either above or below Chiefs default zero (1st floor subfloor).

Although it is called Grade Level, it has nothing to do with any Terrain you create and it's settings have no direct relationship with the Terrain.

You don't even need a terrain for this to work.

You may already know all tis anyway.

Yes, I do know you have to set grade height but I always show my terrain against the house so they are the same. I guess some people just use a line. If the terrain didn't match heights against the house in all the views, including rendering, my plans would be rejected by the building departments around here now.

Dragging one to the next to eliminate it will work but it can be hard to get it to do that at times.

I have his on my pet peeves list. Chief: Fix this so it is easier to drag collapse, or adjust dimensions. And this rectange does not oddly moves sideways....

• 2 weeks later...

I have his on my pet peeves list. Chief: Fix this so it is easier to drag collapse, or adjust dimensions. And this rectange does not oddly moves sideways....

I completely AGREE!!! The concept of dragging one dimension marker on top of another to delete it is a ridiculously cumbersome feature.