Rich_Winsor

Nvidia wants me to update my driver to this version

which it says was released today. I'm still running

362.00 (without any problems) since the recent update

issues. Has anybody tried this latest update?

You can always go to their download website and read the release notes. That will tell you if they have done anything that will improve your performance. Most of these driver revisions are to address or add very specific game related issues. If that's the case then the update is not necessary unless you play that particular game.

Graham

You can always go to their download website and read the release notes. That will tell you if they have done anything that will improve your performance. Most of these driver revisions are to address or add very specific game related issues. If that's the case then the update is not necessary unless you play that particular game.

Graham

+1

The updated driver was the Game ready driver.

The graphics driver is 358.91. By my understanding this is what chief uses.

Graham

I'm still using 331.82............I'm back to the "if it isn't  broke, don't fix it"  theory.

Used to keep current on all the updates, but I've had some terrible results from "upgrades" in the past, so I'm now very hesitant.

Thanks Ken,

Just to clarify. Chief does not really determine what graphics system , integrated or dedicated, or what driver version is to be used. This is controlled by Windows and the graphics chip or board. Graphic data is sent from Chief to the system and it is the system, depending upon it's settings, that directs the display task to either the integrated chip or the dedicated graphics board. The drivers just interpret the graphics related data into a format that the graphics chip or boards understand and to take advantage of special features built into the graphics chip or board. There are some situations were the software can in a sense bypass this process and send very specific commands to take advantage of a particular feature (instruction set) built into the graphics chip or board. Gaming is a good example where this can happen. Most of these driver updates are tweaked so these instruction sets can be accessed.

Even though Chief shows under preferences a graphic chip/board type and driver, it is just retrieving this information from your system to tell you what graphics set-up the system is going to use. It is not telling the system to use this.

Graham

I'm still using 331.82............I'm back to the "if it isn't  broke, don't fix it"  theory.

Used to keep current on all the updates, but I've had some terrible results from "upgrades" in the past, so I'm now very hesitant.

That's a well proven theory and I've also learnt to always keep it in mind. Unfortunately the computer and graphics industry is changing so rapidly that there are many instances that software and drivers, in the rush to get to market, are not undergoing enough testing. This is compounded by the shear proliferation of differing hardware; the number or permutations of software & hardware combinations almost guarantee that some condition will miss the eye of even the most skilled team of programmers and evaluators.

In construction there is also the old adage "Proven by the Test of Time". From a computer stability and reliability perspective this and the first theory should likely be adhered to. However, I like many others just can't resist the notion that my system "just might be a little faster" if I download the latest driver or whatever, even if at the end of the day it's just for the placebo effect. "Perception is Everything"

Graham

We've updated one of our 2 laptops to this driver yesterday. Cleaned all nvidia stuff off then did custom install with only the video driver selected. So far so good.

Well, like other ideas, this worked for a day. This morning the card / driver is not working properly. There are no problems with X8 on our identical laptop that driver 362.00 was never updated.