Beveled End on Cedar Bracket

SNestor

I'm trying to make a cedar bracket like the one shown in the attached picture.  My problem...how to make the 4 sided beveled end cap.  

This should be simple...right?  Probably...but, not for me.  

I've tried making it with "solids"...but couldn't get all the components to come together.  It seems most solid objects can only be used in plan view.  The "face" object is available in elevation views...but, I'm really not sure what the "face" tool does.  

Can anyone shed some light on this?

post-227-0-73880100-1459222027_thumb.png

All you should need for that one is 3 polyline solids and 2 truncated pyramids. I'll try to make a video if I have a few spare minutes a little later.

You shouldn't actually need to use any faces (I honestly don't think I've ever actually needed them for anything as there's almost...if not always...another way). I touched on them very briefly in this video though. In this instance they were only the faces resulting from an exploded solid, but the face tool gives you essentially the same thing without starting with a solid.

I'm trying to make a cedar bracket like the one shown in the attached picture. My problem...how to make the 4 sided beveled end cap.

This should be simple...right? Probably...but, not for me.

I've tried making it with "solids"...but couldn't get all the components to come together. It seems most solid objects can only be used in plan view. The "face" object is available in elevation views...but, I'm really not sure what the "face" tool does.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Glenn and Michael show that isn't isn't very hard to make - for this task. I do believe you are correct though, there really shouldn't be a limitation on what view you draw things. CA is so good at so many things, but I hope most of us agree it could see some improvement in this area.

As a side note - you may want to convert your multi-part solid into a symbol and not simply block. If you make an architectural block and start messing with elevation of different copies on different floors i've had some real screwy things happen. Making it a symbol will stabilize it immensely.

...Making it a symbol will stabilize it immensely.

Absolutely agree.  I would probably be tempted to save a copy of the original solid too though just in case you decide you need to modify it in the future.  Symbols are great as finished products but not so great when you want to add or modify something (other than basic sizing or material changes). 

Thanks all for your help.  Very much appreciated.  

As it turns out...creating the beveled end shape is fairly simple...once you know how to do it.  (I was making it way too hard...)

Now...If I could figure out how to put a stretch plane in each leg...without distorting the end shape I'd be a happy guy.

Thanks again to all the experts!