export for AutoCad

Dennis_Gavin

I have a client who wants her cousin to help them with things.  He is an Autocad user.  What is the best method for exporting for that?  I did a DWG export of all used layers.  it is only 497 KB.  Is there also a method for 3D export?  Not sure what version he has. I have only imported 2d CAD for trace over in the past.  Never had to export for this situation.  JUst looking for some heads up, pointers etc.

Thanks.

With 3D export the dwg files get pretty messy-I gave up using that. Usually use Chief Viewer or 3D PDF-can also try exporting a 3D view to DAE and importing into SU.

2D dwg exported from a plan view will have extra lines on top of each other, from layout you get a few less of those but then it has to be scaled up in CAD.

Years ago, at least 10, we used to export from CA and open wireframes in AutoCAD with no real difficulty. Since we were only using AC for 2d ConDocs we never relaly developed a start to finish path, so can't comment past the initial import.

I'd guess that the older the version of AutoCAD you export as the better lol, i think AutoCAD is quite good at opening old version *.dwg files.

As I recollect, for CD we would export only the layers for that  view - leaving layer management primarily in CA, so would export 2d footprint, foundation, framing, floor plans and so on.