CA-8 level of control of wall framing

BrownTiger

Go to solution Solved by johnny,

Can you specify that two story wall to be [auto] framed @24" o.c.[because of 2x6s]  unlike other load bearing walls that framed at 16" [2x4]. Like where straight  2x4 x 20' not available. Can you specify that some internal wall should be framed at 19.2" o.c. or even 24" so that duct-work can be run inside.  

Just curious.

I guess I have a question about this as well. I see under the framing specification you can "override" what was the wall setting. However, in the wall specification dbx it lists 24" OC under the "texture" and continues to relate it under layer settings below. What, if any, does the wall texture have to do with the framing spacing? To me that seems odd, unless you can edit it here and have a meaningful change for the wall....but its just a texture right?

Or does changing the texture to 16" OC actually relate to the framing?

post-75-0-58684400-1459117811_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-40479600-1459117820_thumb.jpg

I just answered my own question, and hopefully the OP.

Its a bit interesting, but the way it appears you control framing is in the "texture" (material) Dbx. Seems odd to me for some reason, but it is what it is - and now we both know. Filling the main wall layer with a material that states the specific spacing is how its done I guess.

post-75-0-68122400-1459118090_thumb.jpg

Thank you 

Very odd. Yes you are 100% correct, one can define either 16" or 24" spacing using texture field, defining new wall type 2x4 Fir stud 24". Great.

I have no issue with the concept that 16" and 24" wall have different wall types.

But you only have choice over fir stud 16" or fir stud 24". Try interior 4 @ 19.2 o.c.? How about 12" o.c. (Softplan does this)

Also chief has the type "Fir framing", but does not seems to understand what fir framing is or may be it is me....?

B

post-4512-0-69053000-1459123721_thumb.jpg

post-4512-0-62755800-1459124479_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Brown, yes I too think its a bit odd placement for the option - but oh well. As Michael said too you can override the wall framing spec in the "material" field to what you want.

However, you aren't limited. If you notice you can create your own material - call it what you want "Non-fir Framing@ 6" OC" and specify that 6" OC in the spacing. Notice you also have control of the "x" dimension as well.

You can then also create a new wall type, and set that wall type to use that "material" with the 6" OC (or whatever you want). That way you can have any wall framing spec you want per-wall.

post-75-0-43519000-1459126499_thumb.jpg

I was actually referring to a different option guys. Explore the Build Framing options. Still not at my computer but there's an option to either use the material settings (which you guys are talking about) or use an entirely different spacing (regardless of the material settings). Not suggesting one way over the other. Just wanted to clarify that there are controls for framing spacing outside the material definition.

I was actually referring to a different option guys. Explore the Build Framing options. Still not at my computer but there's an option to either use the material settings (which you guys are talking about) or use an entirely different spacing (regardless of the material settings). Not suggesting one way over the other. Just wanted to clarify that there are controls for framing spacing outside the material definition.

Yep, after you posted your comment I took a screen shot of that option I think you are talking about.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the OP wanted to make different walls in the same plan frame differently - whereas that option overrides for all the walls on that floor - right?

Yep, after you posted your comment I took a screen shot of that option I think you are talking about.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the OP wanted to make different walls in the same plan frame differently - whereas that option overrides for all the walls on that floor - right?

Not exactly.  Try this...

Set stud spacing through Build Framing dbx.  Select the desired wall(s), Build Framing For Selected Object(s), open Wall Specification dbx, click on Structure tab and check Retain Wall Framing. 

Now adjust stud spacing in Build Framing dbx and either repeat process or simply check Build Wall Framing while you're in there to frame the remaining walls. 

>Set stud spacing through Build Framing dbx.  Select the desired wall(s), Build Framing For Selected Object(s), open Wall Specification dbx, click on Structure tab and check Retain Wall Framing. 

I did not like that method at all. It would require building a few walls at a time. No way to identify that the walls had a different spacing.

(This is my hobby, I do not sell plans, however all my houzz/castles structures are sound). 

Defining the wall type using textures is a way to go. Not only it allows me to specify stud spacing but also gives the ability to specify a color on the plan.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Defining the wall type using textures is a way to go.

You may have just said it by accident, but just to clarify for your own sake and for the sake of others reading this, what you are actually doing is defining your framing using Material Definitions, NOT the Texture. Inside those Material Definitions for your framing material are...

-General Definitions (THIS is where you specify it as framing and set the thickness and spacing)

-Pattern Definitions where you can essentially assign a specified linework pattern that will display in vector views

-Texture Definitions where you assign a bitmap (picture) file as well as the sizing, angle, offset, scale, and color settings for that image that will be used to specify what your material looks like in Standard, Duotone, Painting, and Watercolor render modes and in Ray Traces

-Properties Definitions where you further decide how that material looks and behaves in standard and ray trace render modes by adjusting a material's emissiveness, transparency, roughness, reflectiveness, etc.