Opening 2 layouts at one time

dshall

I misspoke.  Yes I want to open 2 instances of CA.  On a MAC I cannot.  I have opened 2 instances of CA when I was working on my PC back in the Ice Age,  but now in the information age,  using a MAC,  I cannot open 2 instances of CA.

Hold on. I don't think you can open 2 layouts at all. You have to open a second instance of Chief. And yes, the way to do that is to hold down control while opening a second instance.

Yes,  and once you open the 2nd instance,  you can have 2 layouts open.  Can anybody do this on a MAC?

Scott - you have to launch the 2nd app through your terminal window.

1. Launch your terminal.

2. Type "open -n -a "APPLICATION NAME"

I believe you can make a shortcut/script so you have an icon if you want to launch in the future.  Obviously dont type the quotation marks.

I sometimes want to transfer some data or a detail that is resident in one layout to another. I used to copy paste to a CAD detail window (plan file) then then send to a new layout but a direct way to copy-paste from one layout to another could sometimes be useful.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Michael:

I would use multiple instances when doing presentations to a client

that way I could show various aspects of the plan or layout without losing position on the main presentation

but - NEVER - EVER - do updates while doing this - it can cause file corruption

to be safe I would make a copy of the plan and use that for the presentation

then throw it away afterwards

Lew

when studying a new version of chief versus an older version

I would start both versions and then hop back and forth to see how a feature was changed etc

Lew

Having 2 different VERSIONS open I have done quite a bit.  Its the 2 instances of the same version I just haven't found a need for yet. 

Michel:

make a copy of a plan

then open three instances of Chief

then open the layout and start walking thru the pages

then pretend the client asks a question about framing or the foundation or ???

use one of the instances to do camera views to answer the question

while that is going on use the third instance to show something else at the same time

presentations can wander around - especially during the early design stages

when done with that question go back to the layout and start the "planned" presentation again

probably a zillion ways to use at least two instances to avoid losing "place"

Lew

Funny this topic came up...yesterday I accidentally had the same layout file opened twice in the same instance of Chief. I don't know how. I freaked because I didn't want to lose my work so I closed it ASAP. And yes, I am positive. Glitch I've never seen before.

Funny this topic came up...yesterday I accidentally had the same layout file opened twice in the same instance of Chief. I don't know how. I freaked because I didn't want to lose my work so I closed it ASAP. And yes, I am positive. Glitch I've never seen before.

Weeeeiiiiird!!  That would have probably freaked me out a little too.