OK, Still having issues with 2nd floor on proposed addition

MarkM1965

Hi,

I thought I had it figured out, but I am still having issues manually building a 2nd floor on a proposed addition.  I have the existing house (Cape Cod) drawn already using the build floor command, but now have to build a 2nd floor on proposed addition and have to do it manually because the build floor command wants to build a 3rd floor since I already built the 2nd floor on the existing house.

Problem I am having is after drawing the exterior walls (for the 2nd floor) on the proposed addition, I cannot select inside the walls to create rooms.

What am I doing wrong???

I am attaching the Chief Arch. X7 file so you can see what I am designing and possibly figure out what I am doing wrong.

I wouldn't mind CA building 1st and 2nd floors on both existing and proposed but I want to provide about 3 different scenarios for the client and do not want to have to redraw the existing house every time.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

SCHULER ADDITION PLAN.plan

Here is a You Tube video of me placing an addition and roof over your garage:

https://youtu.be/9QyF2oWeJxs

DJP

Thank you so much for that video lesson, that helped me out A LOT as I am a visual learner.

Sorry I didn't explain the entire proposed addition as to what I was looking for, but you covered everything and learned some new things.  Yes the 2nd floor is the entire 1st floor foot print, but matching the Cape Cod style of the existing house.  The proposed door in the existing house, 2nd floor is a problem as it obviously will not work so going to client tomorrow to discuss possibilities for design.

I subscribed to your youtube channel for more info on using CA.  I have been using CA since 2008, but basically for small garage additions, porches, decks, small additions, etc. nothing too complicated.  This is my first proposed 2 story addition connected to an existing house.  Usually the additions are 1 floor or on the existing 2nd floor, so this is a first for me.

Thanks again for your help,

Mark