driveway culvert cutout in terrain

manchu49

Go to solution Solved by Kenoeightspot,

does anybody know how to cut the terrain so a culvert in a ditch under a driveway looks like it is not filled with dirt? I created the ditch, then added a structural tubing  under the driveway for a culvert. The problem is that the terrain still shows inside  of it.

AS david mentioned, you should post whatever you have attempted of your plan as I doubt that you have correctly discribed your effort(s). 

The Terrain can be modified in various ways to create a ditch in Chief. The easest is to use a stream. However, a driveway or road will follow that depression (ditch) so you're trying to use conflicting features as you described.

One approach would be to create the depression (ditch), then fill in the driveway section with a solid. The culvert through it could be simulated by subtracting out a horizontal cylinder section. if you used a stream it's height  could be adjusted to the bottom of the culvert.

The reamining problem would be the crossing driveway. Unfortunitely the driveway will follow the terrain even through the depression is filled with a solid (culvert and fill)., so you could use a polyline. But then if the terrain was sloped  on either side, the polyline would not follow the terrain slope. So the conflict. IOW , I believe this could only be done on a flat plan  which is probably not your situation.

A workarould would then be to use a polyline aross the culvert and then driveways on either side connected and blended together to look like one road.

No good solution here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help as I understand what you are saying GerryT,but to clarify I created depressions on both sides of the driveway, and put a pipe in under the driveway as shown in the picture. I don't know if there is a way of cutting the terrain where I need to

post-1318-0-91035000-1401139161_thumb.jpg

In the first Image I made the terrain very steep at the edge of the driveway falling into the culvert. Add a polyline solid circle(plug) and set it in the pipe about 18" to hide the terrain.

In the second image I made the terrain vertical at the edges of the driveway. I made a terrain ditch, the driveway followed the ditch so I added a p solid driveway (bridge) over the sloped driveway  then

added another p solid below the driveway p solid to act as the steep terrain sides, and in elevation shaped a hole in the p solid to let the hollow pipe show thru.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

For what its worth I had occasion to revisit this topic

as I needed to model a culvert that was slightly more

sophisticated than just a pipe in the ground. I ran into

the same problem the OP had in that whenever I

lowered the culvert into the terrain it filled the hole in

the culvert. I experimented with Bill’s approach of

putting plugs in the ends of the hole but I couldn’t

make it work. However what did work for me was to

place the culvert into a terrain hole of the identical size.

Anyhoo… this is what I came up with.

post-126-0-44062300-1418627432_thumb.png

post-126-0-23578300-1418627457_thumb.png

post-126-0-96650300-1418627473_thumb.png