How to create 2nd floor on proposed addition after 2nd floor has been created on existing house

MarkM1965

Hi,

Hope someone can help me out with this problem.

I have already drawn in my existing house (Cape Cod), now I am drawing the proposed addition onto the existing house.  After drawing the 1st floor of the proposed addition I need to create the 2nd floor, but when using the "build floor" icon, CA wants to build a 3rd floor since I already have a 2nd floor on the existing house.

Is there anyway possible to create the 2nd floor on the proposed without affecting the already finished 2nd floor on the existing?

I want to propose a few different scenarios for the addition and do not want to create the 2nd floor on the existing house each time.

I am using CA-X7

Thanks for your help,

Mark

OK, I have done that, but than I can not get the area to highlight and name it a specific room.  What am I doing wrong at that point?  I thought it would work just like the 1st floor but no matter how many interior walls I put in, it won't let me select inside the created area.

OK, I have done that, but than I can not get the area to highlight and name it a specific room.  What am I doing wrong at that point?  I thought it would work just like the 1st floor but no matter how many interior walls I put in, it won't let me select inside the created area.

Attach the plan. 

first thing you should do is to post the plan.

If it is really big then close the plan (save it of course) zip the plan file then post it.

It is the best way to get a good response instead of us just guessing at what the problem might or might not be.

Andy.

Never mind, I just tried it again and now it seems to be working.  Don't know what I was doing earlier today, but the just could get that 2nd floor manually drawn in.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Unless I am misunderstanding what you wanted, there shouldn't be any way that you can create an as-built 3D model on one floor and your proposed 3D changes on another - that just wont work.  Unless you just wanted 2D work...

Unless I am misunderstanding what you wanted, there shouldn't be any way that you can create an as-built 3D model on one floor and your proposed 3D changes on another - that just wont work.  Unless you just wanted 2D work...

Johnny,

I don't think that's what the Op was asking...but

You can sort of do that in Chief.

Draw a simple room on floor 1.

Build a new blank floor (floor 2)

On floor 2, draw a new room off to the side and edit it's floor and ceiling heights so that they match the floor 1 room. 

Have a look in 3D.

In the attached pic, the section on the left is on floor 1 and the section on the right is on floor 2.

post-106-0-06359200-1458699435_thumb.jpg

Sorry,  maybe I didn't explain my scenario clearly enough.

What I have is an existing house (Cape Cod style), and the client wants to add a Cape Cod style addition attached to the left of the house consisting of an enclosed area and a 2 car garage on the first floor.  On the second floor of the addition (over the garage and enclosed area) will be 2 bedrooms and a full bath.

I have attached screen shots of my project, both plan and 3D.  Existing house is on the right, proposed addition is on the left.  I have already created the existing house all floors complete, next I want to create about 3 different options for the client to choose for their addition.  So what I wanted to know is how to create a new 2nd floor on the proposed addition without disturbing the already created 2nd floor of the existing house.

AndyGump's suggestion worked fine with drawing in the 2nd floor manually instead of having CA create it, since that is impossible with a 2nd floor already created on the existing house.  For some reason drawing the 2nd floor manually earlier today was not working for me and thought I was doing something wrong.

It is working now for whatever reason and I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

post-8908-0-16111500-1458701821_thumb.jpg

post-8908-0-54619600-1458701828_thumb.jpg