Garage problems and more

Quickchevys

Alright, So I am building a house and need 14' ceilings in the garage. I got the outline of the house and interior walls done for the 1st and 2nd floor. I did default setting for everything and now I need to change everything.(first timer doing this design thing) I realized that I needed to change the ceiling height in the garage to 14' instead of the default 9'. I have living space above the garage so every time I up the height it goes into the rooms above. I need to know how to lower the floor of the garage itself to allow for the higher ceilings. I'm thinking this is the same as doing a tri-level house but I can't find anything on that. To break it down a little more I need to have the garage floor about 4' lower then the main level floor to have bigger ceilings in the garage then the house but still allow the second floors floor to line up flat.

I also need to up the wall height on both floors and basement from default to 10'. Is there a way to do them all at once or do i have to do it wall by wall?

Also I had an issue trying to separate the garage sections to differ the height. I tried to cut the garage in half and just up the height on one side and it for some reason would up the height on both sides. I tried room dividers, walls, redefining the spaces, and anything I could think of but they must be grouped together somehow.

I have no idea if all this can be done easily or if I should call it a good first draft and start over again.

Thanks in advance.

edit: here is the plan 1st draft.plan

To get an accurate answer you should really probably attach the plan. Too many variables. From the sounds of it though, you should be able to adjust everything you're talking about fairly easily through the various room DBX's. Adjusting the CORRECT numbers and sometimes in the right order though is key.

• Upvote 1

Thank you David for your time and making that video. What I am trying to do is eliminate the need for stairs to get to the living space above the garage. I need to take the garage floor down roughly 4'. The second floor should all be at the same level but the garage will need stairs to get onto the main level in the house. If that makes sense.

I think the issue with the roof over that toilet area was due to the fact that I tried to up the ceiling height on both floors room by room. Is there a way to up ceiling height for the entire floor of the house all in one? The roof looks a lot better after you messed with it.

Thanks again :)

Ya Curt it was because I forgot to up that room when trying to up the heights on both floors. That was a simple fix. I'm having a bunch of trouble trying to get the software to do what I need it to do. I think i may have figured out the garage issue but now I messed with the foundation and now the stairs going to the basement wont open up the floor so now have railings sticking though then floor where the opening for the stairs should be.

There's a "Match Properties" tool that is very useful for matching floor heights, ceiling heights and other properties for several rooms on a level.  Go to Help (F1) to read about how it works or maybe watch one of Chief's tutorial videos on the subject.

Thanks I tried to find something in the help section for match properties or something similar and I couldn't find anything on it and I've watch a bunch of videos and still nothing about that. Do you think you could post a link to a video or help section with that info in it?

I am assuming this is what you found:

post-191-0-55884800-1458921801_thumb.jpg

This tool is covered in one or more tutorial videos by CA but trying to find it using any reasonable search terms leaves one wondering where the #$%* it is buried.  I couldn't find any video titles I thought would show it being used so I watched a few "best guess" videos and Nada .... not there.

CHIEF .... are you listening .... you guys really should make searching for topics within your tutorial videos more user friendly.  Out of a possible 10, I am only going to give you a 5 in this regard.  Please fix this ... it will really help a lot of users out to be able to easily find things in your (our .... I paid for them too) videos.

When using the Match Properties > Load Same Values tools, if you've got a bunch of text (e.g., room names, dimensions, etc.), dimensions or 3D objects within rooms, and especially if the rooms are small (like closets, half-baths, etc.), it is extremely helpful to lock or turn off some of those layers before using this tool as you will have a hard time clicking within room areas to load those values into.  In some cases, you may have to zoom in very close to find some free space that is "clickable" for the room to be selectable to load the new values to.

Also, when you click on the Load Same Values tool, if some rooms are grayed out, that means they already have the values you are trying to load into rooms that don't.  Not sure if that is clear to you but you'll figure it out.  Sometimes doing some camera or section views is helpful to verify that the room spec's (floor & ceiling elev's, e.g.) have changed to the settings you are after.  Hope this info helps.

Edit:  I see the Load Same Values (or whatever it used to be called) is now called APPLY PROPERTIES.  Sorry about that glitch.