Copy/Duplicate Wall Framing Easily

A_Joseph_PE

Good Evening All,

I was wondering if there were an easy way to copy or duplicate wall framing from one similar (possibly identical) wall to another without having to draw the whole thing over again?

I have tried to copy from one wall detail to the other, but it seems NEVER to want to place the copied framing even remotely near the existing framing I want to replace!

Thanks in advance for the help.

AJ

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am an engineer with a bit of experience with CA, but I am using a colleague's plan to help me learn how to use the software right now.  I have a general working knowledge of the software, but I have never had to generate a framing detail.

I have a wall that has correct framing already included, but another wall (opposite side but I would like to have mirror image framing) that I want to be the same I just can't figure out.

I am not sure about posting a plan on here.  My first few posts and I am not as comfortable yet posting plans.  Sorry, and I understand if it limits you ability (or willingness) to assist me.

It slightly limits my willingness, but mostly just our ability. There are just a ton of variables and I'm not really totally sure what exactly you're trying to do, what kind of layout you're talking about, where the walls in question are in relation to each other, what your wall definition settings are, what you're structure settings are, what your framing settings are, whether or not you have any framing reference markers placed, whether you have auto framing turned on or not, etc.

I also don't know where you're copying from (plan, elevation, framing detail, CAD detail), where you're copying to, or what procedure you're using to copy and paste.

As Eric said, you can even just attach a sample plan demonstrating your problem. That or do a Save As of the plan in question and just delete anything and everything we don't need.

Here are two walls, in plan view, one with framing generated:

post-95-0-52095200-1458650718_thumb.png

Turn on your object snaps so you can select the same relative point on both walls. In this example, I'll use Endpoint snaps.

Activate the General Framing tool:

post-95-0-28517500-1458650783_thumb.png

While holding down the shift key, marquee select around the wall with the framing. This will select only the wall framing. Release the shift key. Now, with the framing still selected, activate the Copy/Paste tool:

post-95-0-92125100-1458651305_thumb.png

Now the framing has been copied to the clipboard. Now activate the Point-to-Point Move tool:

post-95-0-51857600-1458651432_thumb.png

Click on the endpoint of the wall with the framing:

post-95-0-08166500-1458651362_thumb.png

Then click on the same endpoint of the wall without the framing. You've just copied the framing from one wall to the other:

post-95-0-60030900-1458651551_thumb.png

Those are the basics. You can adapt this procedure to your specific situation.