Small gliches

country

I am doing a small garage addition to a farmhouse.  They are adding the new entry over the old garage grade-beams.

I have placed the piles but when I did a section through the old garage (S10) the piles are offset from the grade beam.  When you click on them in plan view the center point is also offset but they look correct.  I just copy/pasted all these old piles so do not know what happened as all the others are correct.

The other issue I notice was the back corner of the roof.  (Elev. 2)  The box eave isn't framing the same as all the rest, so not sure what I did there either.

Neither of these are important to the new addition but I would like to know what has happened so I can correct it in future plans.

Delparte.zip

For the piers, I think your problem is that you are using a pony wall.  The pier is automatically centering itself below the main wall (and not the lower wall section).  Solutions that come to mind...

-Like David said, abandon the pier and use a primitive solid, slab, or something else.

-Add a an extra Opening (No Material) layer to that upper wall definition that causes the pier to center itself.

-Abandon the pony wall idea and build an extra...very short...room so that the pier will be centering to the foundation wall and you can adjust the upper wall section to where you want it. 

• Upvote 1

The issue with the box eve seems to be related to your soffits over that back little covered entry porch area.  If you change the soffit from Default to Overhang you can get that to clean up.  Not sure exactly why...might have something to do with the way you built the roof.   The best solution might be to place a break in that roof plane so you can assign 2 different soffit depths, or to use invisible walls over the back porch to create a ceiling.  Not really sure.  The best solution is probably better decided by you as you know exactly what you want.  That's what seems to be causing your issue though.

On a side note...That's a pretty simple roof.  It seems it could be done entirely done with auto roofs which might not have resulted in the same issue.  Just a thought.  

Thanks for all the input.

On the piles: I would have understood about the offset under the pony wall but was confused that they showed properly in the plan view. I will just adjust with a slab so it looks right in section. I used a pony wall because that is what will happen in real life. I think adding the "no material" layer to the wall definition may be the best solution if I was doing it again.

I did use the auto roof originally but they changed their minds a couple times on the entry way so it was adjusted both times. (while they were sitting here, so manual was the fastest). I imagine that may have caused the problem but I'll check your solutions out so I can fix it myself if it happens again.

Can anyone explain why the piles (footings) show centred in plan view when they are actually offset? Is this a bug? And why can we not offset them individually?

I don't know the answer to that question.  Truth is that the piles are centered beneath the upper wall section but they show in plan view as being centered beneath the lower wall section.  I would consider this a bug and think you should report it.  Note that if you select the pier in plan view that the edit handles show it centered under the upper wall section, only the circle representation is in the wrong place.  I also think that its incorrect to automatically center the pier beneath the upper wall section.  It should be centered beneath the lower wall section.

With regard to moving those piers.  They are a special type of "smart" structural object, not unlike the footing under a foundation or the framing for a roof.  Right or wrong, they are there to serve a specific purpose (in this case to support the wall above) and therefore we have very limited control over where they can reside.  Having said that, I still believe they should be placed centered beneath the lower wall if anything and I think they should have an offset value added to the dbx.  

Thanks Michael. I did add an extra empty wall space to the upper portion to make it 8" to match the foundation but the pile still wasn't quite centred. I will send in the original drawing as I think the footing should centre under the foundation portion of a pony wall (just as it shows in plan view).

• 4 weeks later...