Complicated Roof Creation

sahagin

I opened the file and started to try and help but you dont have enough modeled for anyone to truly help unless someone just makes up the data. Fundamentally I would break out the roofs into main sections and then correct/cleanup the file from there. Place the main body extreme hip in (which you dont have in that file yet, only 1 side - kinda) and then just connect the front gable as if it was a separate roof altogether. You will have roofs intersecting and crossing over each-other to start, but you can then use that info to clean up the file to the point the roof plans.

If after doing that you still can't get it then post that file for the help you need. I just dont think you have enough info on what you have done to quickly help.

Not at my computer right now, but I think you should be able to do that all automatically. Turn on auto rebuild roofs, place breaks in the necessary walls, and adjust the roof settings in the various wall DBX's for pitch, overhang, and hip vs. gable.

Most difficult part is actually going to likely be that hole in the super steep gable/hip thing. Can't quite tell what that is but that looks like the biggest challenge.

Sorry about the Oklahoma vs VCU game, I forgot I had it on while making the video. Basically I realigned the roof baselines and manually edited and moved the existing roof planes relative to the shared photos as best I could. I replaced the original video with one without the basketball chatter.

DJP

I watched David's video, and he did the best he could with the information he had. However, the key is the large hip that needs to have a valley into the gable. You can do this with Chief, but your model needs to be further along before anyone can substantially help you.

To me, it appears you have a "bastard" hip condition in that the side hip pitch is much greater than the "span" hip condition. The gable appears closer to the "span" pitch, which causes the separation that becomes another run and valley back into your gable.

There is subtle complexity there which is going to be tricky, but can all be done with CA. The window in the hip will be an issue to work through, but you can do it.

Finally had a chance to open your plan.  Don't want to do the work for you, but here are a few random notes that should hopefully get you moving in the right direction...

-I would really recommend trying to build that roof with auto roofs before trying to do manually.  You'll just need to familiarize yourself with the roof tab of the wall dbx. so you can set pitch, overhang, roof style, etc. 

-You would need to place a break in that wall below the super steep hip roof so you could assign a different pitch for the 2 roof planes. 

-Many of your upper floor walls need to be changed to attic walls so they cut to the roof properly.

-You'll probably have to get creative with an extra roof plane to create that brace that comes down from the glass railing area (maybe in conjunction with an attic wall and opening below).  Either that or a simple polyline solid. 

-You'll probably have to define that wing wall as an attic wall as well. 

Anyway, hopefully that helps. 

OMG, thanks to all of u for taking the time to reply to me, i read all of your comments, and videos? omg, aewsome.

As i said im new to the program, and some of the English terms that some of u refer to, are kind hard to understand, (for me as im Portuguese) however will re-read everything, view the awesome videos an try to improve the model.

PS.: its a home from FRANCE... weird looking design.

thanks a lot ill post the update.