cabinet resizing

Dennis_Gavin

I have default cabinet resize set to 3" but often when I stretch a cabinet I get intermittent sizes and have to open the

dbx and set it there.  Anyone else having this problem?  Or can you think of another setting I might be missing?

Using X8, need to change my profile.....

I usually have mine set to 1" but just tried a fresh plan with it at 3". I'm not getting that problem, thought it might be grid snaps since sometimes they get turned on and create things like that. But didn't have any issue. Note the plan was from a fresh template created in X8 -maybe old file???

Odd why mine is fine when set to 3" . Are the templates or plans from X7?

Edit

I just managed to get odd size by placing a wall cabinet above with object snaps on and then base snapped to that getting an odd size. Place on their own or object snaps off no problem.

I have just played with this. I can get it to happen repeatedly. It seems to only occur when you have object snaps on. Place three cabinets and resize the width of the middle one. If you move it back and forth it will at times jump off of the 3" increment, you will also notice that a red square pops up, looks like the calculated object snap point.

Graham

I think I found what's going on. It has to do with your snap settings. Say for example you have just the center snap on only. If your cabinets original size is say 33" and you drag to reduce it's width it will reduce in 3" increments, however when you reach the center point of the original 33" cabinet it will snap to this which will be 16 1/2". if you continue to reduce it will then jump to 15" and then continue to reduce in 3" increments.

Graham

Mark - You'll have to move to Florida, we are relocating to THe Villages in May.

Really though, you never use 3" spacing?

Sorry Dennis, lived in Florida once, not for me.

Yes really- even my my builders grade cabinet grade brand will do 1/4" changes in width for a price. But I rarely sell those. They make a nice cabinet for the money and I'd hoped to increase volume with those but my semi custom brand is too good a deal. Only the really bottom budget jobs get the other.

The  "semi-custom" brands have changed a lot in what they will do (outside of the ones owned by the conglomerates- even some of those have shifted.)

Mine does sizing to 1/8" at NC. I do keep an eye on 3" increments when working since that is where the price breaks are but almost always am adjusting to the situation and client needs.

The great thing with the shift in semi custom is that if I treat it apples to apples I can compete with the better brands at the box store on price. At the same time for just a little more I can give a client a better kitchen, even a budget kitchen.  My better brands have even tighter tolerance, 1/16 & 1/32 respectively, and more flexibility.