Snapping

johnny

One thing that I keep running into is when I create say a poly sold in floor plan view, but switch to a side elevation view, I no longer have snap-able corners to pt-to-pt move with accuracy.  It becomes a sloppy trial-and-error of zooming way in and trying to grab those lines over and over.

Is there any way to solve that?  I was going to make a suggestion that CA add snap functionality to all views, but I thought there must be some solution.

Just create cad detail from view, place a point or line or whatever,copy from the CDFV, and then paste hold position back into your other view. All you are doing in that instance is stealing a snap point from the CDFV.

Actually, you don't even have to place a line or point sometimes. All you have to do is copy an existing line.

Johnny,

Agreed: polyline solids should have snap handles regardless of the camera view.

In the meantime, here is a workaround I found works: In elevation view (where there are no snap handles for a PS that was drawn in plan) simply draw another, smaller polyline solid over the one you want to move (see the first pic) so at least one of the corners line up (it will snap in place). Leave it selected and then use the Point to Point tool to select the corner (you will see the snap handle on the corner) and make the move. Both will move to the new position. You can then delete the new/temp polyline solid.

Hope this helps.

post-571-0-96053500-1458414167_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-12094700-1458414187_thumb.jpg

Johnny,

Have you tried using a primitive 3D Box instead of a poly solid? 

Yes, i have but there aren't snaps on primitives either in elevation....not to mention I guess you can only draw a primitive in floor plan view.  Right?

Johnny,

Agreed: polyline solids should have snap handles regardless of the camera view.

In the meantime, here is a workaround I found works: In elevation view (where there are no snap handles for a PS that was drawn in plan) simply draw another, smaller polyline solid over the one you want to move (see the first pic) so at least one of the corners line up (it will snap in place). Leave it selected and then use the Point to Point tool to select the corner (you will see the snap handle on the corner) and make the move. Both will move to the new position. You can then delete the new/temp polyline solid.

Hope this helps.

Ill try that - thanks. 

This example is one of the more complicated situations, but starting at about the eight minute mark of this video you can see one example of me stealing snapping points from a CDFV...

Yeah, this is a good video too for a more complex issue.  However, the fact we have to go through these steps is a bit much for a simple move command.  We should have snaps in all views of nearly all objects - since a user can turn it off on the fly if they want.  Chief has snaps but they just need to make it available throughout the app.  One step further, they should even have snaps for blocked items. 

I think you already got the idea Johnny, but here's another simplified video going over a couple of the methods.

P.S. You don't even need to place a line or point like I did in the video. You could just copy an existing line or group of lines (even Control + A to select ALL the lines).

Yeah, this is a good video too for a more complex issue.  However, the fact we have to go through these steps is a bit much for a simple move command.  We should have snaps in all views of nearly all objects - since a user can turn it off on the fly if they want.  Chief has snaps but they just need to make it available throughout the app.  One step further, they should even have snaps for blocked items. 

I think the issue is that in order to get usable snaps in all views, Chief would essentially have to create a line drawing every time a vector elevation were created or updated.  This would be very taxing time wise (especially when making any changes in that view).  We would start to have complaints about how long it took to create or edit simple elevation views.  I suppose maybe a toggle to choose whether or not an automatic line drawing were created or not might be a good solution.  I too would like to see better snaps in elevations though.