Paintings Library

jtcapa1

I've been stuggling with how to generate a bunch of different paintings with frames, separate from the ones CA provides.  I've normally just inserted on of the existing frames, then changed the pictures, but for years I've wanted to add my own custom pictures to each one I insert.  I do this by taking pictures of my clients paintings and then insert them in my 3d model.

Saving them is in a User Library is something I just recently tried to do without much success.

I decided I wanted different frame sizes and frame shapes, so I took and interior elevation view and create a rectangle, converted it to a molding polyline, then asigned some molding profile to it.

I then put a polyline solid in the center as my canvas and then group blocked them together to create a large square blank model.  Unfortunately, it does not like mixing the poly soild with the molding line for inserting onto walls, for when I take this "architectural block" and insert it from the library to another wall, it has an original fix orientation, and when I rotate it to the new wall, only the poly soild rotates free of the molding.

So I went about doing this wrong.  Can anybody offer a suggestion as to how to create one or more blank canvas that I can then "fit" any painting piture on to it?

Cheers

You can create a poly solid of any size, and place any picture on it by making that picture a new material with the "stretch to fit" option selected.  Then, just place molding around that poly, save as a symbol.  You can "paint" any new picture you want since it will replace the other picture material only - not the frame material.

Basically, any material can be a picture with the stretch to fit command applied.

Here is a good reading resource.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00007/creating-a-custom-picture-painting-or-sign.html

Thank you Gentleman.  I've not used the on the fly symbol creator before so I'll have to get up to speed on locating, sizing x,y,z, and insertion issues.

I got it to work and created a symbol and saved it in the User Library, but for the life of me I cannot cut it out of there and put it in a subdir called "paintings".

Still got some learning to do.