Cabinet Mounted Lighting Sconces

HolisticDesigner

When doing as Dennis suggested, you'll have to change the origin to make it look right in plan and 3D. I do this all the time. BTW, I feel it's better to copy the fixture from Chief's library and place it in your user library before putting it into the plan. (there is a reason why I do this)

and the reason is??????

I had a feeling this was coming but was hoping you would try it then you would probably find out why.

Wall lights, switches, and outlets are made to sit on the wall. To make them go on the side of a cabinet, column, slab or anything else other than a wall, then yes you can place the item in the plan on a wall> open it and make it sit on the floor. Now you can move it where you want, but to make it sit on the side of the cabinet, you need to rotate it. Yes you can do it by opening it and rotate it on its axis in the dbx. but I think my way is better. When you place it directly from the library in the plan, open it and make it sit on the floor, yes you can move it but you can't rotate it using the "rotate handle". If you however copy the item from Chief's library to your user library and in your user library, open the symbol and make it sit on the floor BEFORE you place it in the plan, you can then move it anywhere in the plan and use the "rotate handle" to rotate it. I think this is easier than rotating it on it's axis in the dbx.. Maybe not for some people though. I then move the item to the cabinet in plan view to where it looks right in plan view. I then take an elevation, select the item in the elevation, open it and set its origin to where it looks right in 3D. Now you can show it properly in 2d and 3d. I discussed this a long time ago with Scott on the forum.

You can also drop into plan, change to floor mounted, adjust Y offset to zero AND THEN add to library.   Changing to floor mounted and adjusting Y offset should be the only adjustments that are necessary though whether you drop in plan first or place in library first. 

You can also drop into plan, change to floor mounted, adjust Y offset to zero AND THEN add to library.   Changing to floor mounted and adjusting Y offset should be the only adjustments that are necessary though whether you drop in plan first or place in library first. 

Yes that works. You do need to save it to your user library after making adjustments as noted, then sent that back to the plan (from the user library) to make it work easily for rotating with the rotate handle.

Yes.  You are absolutely correct. 

BTW, did a test using switches and outlets and it doesn't work the same. If you do it your way, you still have to adjust the origin in the elevations after placing it in plan to the correct place. Your way does work for at least the wall light I used.

BTW, did a test using switches and outlets and it doesn't work the same. If you do it your way, you still have to adjust the origin in the elevations after placing it in plan to the correct place. Your way does work for at least the wall light I used.

Switches, outlets, and lights all work the same for me.  Only the Y offset needs adjusting to basically place objects to center of the electrical box.  If you want to place using bottom of symbol than changing both the Y and Z origins to zero is the way to go. 

Switches, outlets, and lights all work the same for me.  Only the Y offset needs adjusting to basically place objects to center of the electrical box.  If you want to place using bottom of symbol than changing both the Y and Z origins to zero is the way to go. 

Doesn't work that way for me for switches and outlets, but wall lights yes.