Using Door as wall openings is not quite working out.

Greg_B

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Chief doesn't seem to know about openings in wall unless they are doors or windows - or am I missing something.

I am working on modifications of an existing office and am cutting two doorways into existing walls. The horizontal wall in the above pic has two studs removed, an additional one added on each side and a 4x12 header added. Chief doesn't quite do that right but it works out reasonable well.

The one in the vertical wall has one stud removed so is 30.5" wide before drywalled. Chief can't get me a decent representation of that. The side clearance at the top of the pic minimums out at 4", but it's actually just one stud: 1.5". I've moved the stud around in the wall detail and we get blank space at the doorway closest to the wall and the stud on the other side hanging out beyond the wall.

I have lots of similar items in the house I'm working on. I'm having the same problem on it. However, this needs to get built at the end of the month and I would like a proper representation of it. It is showing it as it is on the floorplan and not with the stud hanging out.

Why can't I have an opening in a wall that isn't a doorway with no door and jamb?

post-1234-0-11265100-1458268039_thumb.png

post-1234-0-30821100-1458268404_thumb.png

• Solution

I think that you have a couple of things that could be going on.

Posting the plan would make it easier.

Here is my guess.

In General Plan Defaults, you have "Ignore Casing For Opening Resize" unchecked - this would prevent you dragging the opening onto the other wall. 

So...you can do one of two things, go to General Plan Defaults and check "Ignore Casing For Opening Resize". 

Or...

Go to the doorway's dbx and check Use Interior Casing, set the casing width to zero, and then uncheck Use Interior Casing.

Using either method will allow you do butt the opening right up to the other wall.  

Note that just turning off the display of the "Casings, Interior" layer doesn't mean there are no casings - it means you can't see them, but they are still there.

Likewise, unchecking "Use Interior Casing" doesn't mean they are not influencing the move distance from the other wall.