New Computer Advice

LCrosno

It's really more a function of the number of 3D Faces in the model.  Pan and Zoom speed is effected by the GPU memory when there's more faces to process.  At least that's my experience.  It's a lot more expensive to replace the GPU later.

The only condition that I have found is if you are using "Software Edge Smoothing" set in preferences. If this is at 0 I have not found a model yet that doesn't pan and zoom nicely. Setting this high will kill almost any video card.

Graham

My HP Pavillion g series from 2010 is not getting the job done anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific computer that would have what I need to run Chief Architect, efficiently and quickly? I'm so tired of waiting around for renderings to load, and sometimes 3D won't load at all.  

I also would really like a PC and not a Mac. I just like PC better.

THANK YOU in advance!

You can have a 2008 Mac is will out perform a 2018 PC.

Keep an open mind about PC vs Mac.

Whether it's a PC or a Mac, it all comes down to the hardware specs. The OS really has nothing to do with the level of performance. The three primary performance contributors are the CPU, Graphics Card and Drive type, that's about it. Whichever system is configured with the better of this combination will determine the winner.

Graham

I was looking at this exact one yesterday, but was worried about the 128 GB SSD.

I love the passion Mac users have. I just have an irrational fear of switching, ha!

From what I've gathered from you guys and others, I would do well with the following specs:

-17 inch screen (I prefer the larger size)

-4 GB VRAM (2 or 3 GB would probably work as well)

-16 GB DDR3 (more would be better, but this is adequate- possibly even 8 GB?)

-256 GB SSD (512 GB if possible)

Does this list look good? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one of these

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9778s-clevo-p770dm-p-8638.html

Starts just over $2k with an OS installed. I broke the piggy bank with upgrades but I don't have a desktop. Weighs the same as my 9150.

Both CPU and GPU are upgradeable, no Intel card or Optimus, can handle 3 external monitors, great ports. Haven't had time to boot it, dying to.