3D extrusions?

rfcomm2k

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I am trying to use CA to design from scratch a structure that does not follow any of the conventional methods in the software. To be exact, I have several sheets of 1/4" tempered glass that I intend to use to construct a greenhouse, but need a design first.

In a very old version of Turbocad and in Autocad LT I could create a 2D object (for example the end view of a 2x4 with notches cut in 2 corners, giving it a T shape). I could then extrude this object to whatever length desired. In this case again, the 2x4 is intended to be a support for the glass, so there are rabbets cut in 2 opposite edges to allow the glass to sit on the 2x4 and will be held in by glacing applied just as if it were a small pane of glass in a sash.

I have not been able to see how I can create these objects in CA. Can it be done?

I think the easiest method is to draw the section as a closed polyline, then convert the polyline to a polyline solid to give it depth. You could also save the closed polyline in your user library and use it as a molding profile. You could also use solid primitives and boolean operations to create the shape, but then you can no longer dynamically change the length of the object.