Dividing a line equally into 4 parts

cjanderson66

Go to solution Solved by KenL-sdd,

Rashid,

Not sure if this will help in your case, but...

You are not limited to placing and snapping a block by it's centre point (Insertion Point).

This method only relates to Cad Blocks - not Architectural blocks.

But keep in mind that a Cad Block can contain 3D objects like slabs, posts, framing, etc..

You can place the Insertion point anywhere in the block you like - it can even be outside the block - Chief defaults to the centre of block.

Place a Point Marker wherever you want the insertion point to be - you can use snapping or other methods to place the Point Marker in relation to the objects that make up the block....

Unless you want the Point Marker to be a part of your block, use the Place Point (temporary point) when doing this exercise. This is how Chief suggest doing it, at least in earlier version. Also, the reference point will not snap to the Point Marker when it is included in the block, again, at least in earlier versions.

Unless you want the Point Marker to be a part of your block, use the Place Point (temporary point) when doing this exercise. This is how Chief suggest doing it, at least in earlier version. Also, the reference point will not snap to the Point Marker when it is included in the block, again, at least in earlier versions.

I don't think Glenn was suggesting the point be added to the block. It's just a good tool to help situate/locate your new insertion point. It's especially useful when your insertion point is outside your block or at some other location where you have nothing to snap to. In other words, the point is just used as a tool and then deleted. The problem with using Place Point instead of a Point Marker is that you can't select and move the Temporary Point to help properly position it like you can with a regular Point Marker.

Michael,

As far as I know, you can move a Place Point, just as you can a Point Marker.

Double click on the Place Point and enter the location. 

MicketToo,

It's quite easy to include or not include the Point Marker at the insertion point of the block.

Place your Point Marker and Copy and Place In Place. 

When selecting the objects to make up the block, just click once on the 2 Point Markers and only one will be included in the block. 

The other copy in the same location can then be used to snap the insertion point to.

If you use a window selection, you will initially get both Point Markers in the selection.

Just come back and Shift Select the Point Marker and one Point Marker will be deleted from the selection.

Then make your block and snap to the Point Marker for the Insertion Point.

http://screencast.com/t/wZSBxAeoP

Thanks for taking the time to make a video Glenn. For all intents and purposes, entering coordinates isn't exactly the same thing as being able to drag a point marker around and snap it to things (or things to it). Anyway, still appreciate you taking the time. One quick note though for anyone who doesn't realize it. You don't need to actually add anything at all to your block to change the insertion point. All you have to do is click on any location where you want the insertion point to be. It's really that easy. Of course it helps if you have something to work with to originally set the point, but the insertion point can really be anywhere at all...even in blank space.

I don't think Glenn was suggesting the point be added to the block. It's just a good tool to help situate/locate your new insertion point. It's especially useful when your insertion point is outside your block or at some other location where you have nothing to snap to. In other words, the point is just used as a tool and then deleted. The problem with using Place Point instead of a Point Marker is that you can't select and move the Temporary Point to help properly position it like you can with a regular Point Marker.

Michael, I never said that Glenn was "suggesting" the point be added to the block, only that if a Point Marker was used within a block to help locate the new insertion point (as he recommended), then it would become part of the block and it CANNOT be deleted (at least as he originally proposed using it). If that is what you want, fine. If not, then Place Point is the tool to use, which carries with it the additional benefit of being snappable when placing the new reference point within the block. You cannot "snap" to a point marker within a CAD block (at least I can't in X7).

The fact that you cannot drag a temporary point around like you can a Point Marker usually does not come into play in most (though not all) of these situations, since accuracy is key and you would most likely be "snapping" to a particular point (the corner of a joist or a foundation, for example).

And yes, the Point Marker can be used outside of the block (as Glenn pointed out too), but that is not the focus of Rashid's problem, nor my response.

It's quite easy to include or not include the Point Marker at the insertion point of the block.

Place your Point Marker and Copy and Place In Place. 

When selecting the objects to make up the block, just click once on the 2 Point Markers and only one will be included in the block. 

The other copy in the same location can then be used to snap the insertion point to.

If you use a window selection, you will initially get both Point Markers in the selection.

Just come back and Shift Select the Point Marker and one Point Marker will be deleted from the selection.

Then make your block and snap to the Point Marker for the Insertion Point.

http://screencast.com/t/wZSBxAeoP

Michael, here is the Chief Video on this topic. I could not find this video on Chief's website, but I had downloaded it way back, and due to file size constraints, have included only the relevant portion.

Insertion Points.wmv

Michael, I never said that Glenn was "suggesting" the point be added to the block, only that if a Point Marker was used within a block to help locate the new insertion point (as he recommended), then it would become part of the block and it CANNOT be deleted (at least as he originally proposed using it). If that is what you want, fine. If not, then Place Point is the tool to use, which carries with it the additional benefit of being snappable when placing the new reference point within the block. You cannot "snap" to a point marker within a CAD block (at least I can't in X7).

The fact that you cannot drag a temporary point around like you can a Point Marker usually does not come into play in most (though not all) of these situations, since accuracy is key and you would most likely be "snapping" to a particular point (the corner of a joist or a foundation, for example).

And yes, the Point Marker can be used outside of the block (as Glenn pointed out too), but that is not the focus of Rashid's problem, nor my response.

Okay.  I just didn't read anything in Glenn's post suggesting that the point be included within the block.  And I was actually envisioning a situation similar to what Rashid brought up where the desired insertion point is not associated with any of the lines in the block therefore you have nothing to snap to. 

You are correct that place point has some benefits, but you can use a point marker (or any other snappable item for that matter) for the same thing without including it in the block if you either place it after the the block is created or deselect it before reblocking, and it has the added benefit of easier relocation if the desired insertion point isn't related to any particular point within the block. 

To be clear about one thing...  When you use Place Point like in Chief's video, the only unique thing that's happening is that the temporary point marker isn't being selected and included in the block (because its not possible)...nothing more than that.  That's the reason you can still snap to it.  Deselect the point marker before blocking (or just don't select it in the first place) and you have the exact same thing.