Dividing a line equally into 4 parts

cjanderson66

Go to solution Solved by KenL-sdd,

Ok guys, I know there is a way to do it and I can't keep spending time trying to find it so I am hoping that someone can help me figure this out.  I am trying to do a coffered ceiling and I want the grid to be equal boxes.  the way I usually do it in AutoCAd is take a line and divide that line equally to fin the centers of m beam.  How can I divide a line into 4 part or distribute a line along a line.  I have tried align/distribute but when I pick the line it does not give me the capability to distribute along the line just align...

• Upvote 1

Draw three circles (or points, or whatever - it doesn't matter). Pick the circles, then Align to Line:

post-95-0-56406300-1458144423_thumb.png

This won't physically divide the line into four equal segments, but it will give you the four relevant points along the line.

• Upvote 1

There in no need to add that extra step. Draw line at one end use multiple copy using 5 copies. That will give you your spacing.

You have to be kidding me....  10 years later I learn this?  Hey,  thank Ken,  nice job,  I will give you a point,  I would give you 20 points  if I could.

Draw three circles (or points, or whatever - it doesn't matter). Pick the circles, then Align to Line:

attachicon.gifalign2.PNG

This won't physically divide the line into four equal segments, but it will give you the four relevant points along the line.

Hey  Racklamore,  check out Ken's answer.....  SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!

Hey  Racklamore,  check out Ken's answer.....  SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!

Maybe I don't understand Ken's method, but if I do, then his method requires you to know the length of the line, and use a calculator to divide it by 4, then multiple copy 5 lines with the calculated answer; and if the line length is an ugly fraction, then your calculated interval will be even uglier. I'm not saying my method is better, but the mouse/calculator clicks are about even, and mine lets Chief do the math.

Maybe I don't understand Ken's method, but if I do, then his method requires you to know the length of the line, and use a calculator to divide it by 4, then multiple copy 5 lines with the calculated answer; and if the line length is an ugly fraction, then your calculated interval will be even uglier. I'm not saying my method is better, but the mouse/calculator clicks are about even, and mine lets Chief do the math.

no you just draw a line and then use the multiple copy and set the interval of the divided areas you would like to have.  Super simple and that is what I was looking for.

no you just draw a line and then use the multiple copy and set the interval of the divided areas you would like to have.  Super simple and that is what I was looking for.

Your OP stated, in part:

"How can I divide a line into 4 parts or distribute a line along a line."

So, I'm assuming you already have a line drawn, and you need to divide it into 4 equal parts. Using your method, doesn't this require you to first know the length of the line , and then to calculate it's quarter-points? How else will you know what interval to use when you Multiple Copy?

Your OP stated, in part:

"How can I divide a line into 4 parts or distribute a line along a line."

So, I'm assuming you already have a line drawn, and you need to divide it into 4 equal parts. Using your method, doesn't this require you to first know the length of the line , and then to calculate it's quarter-points? How else will you know what interval to use when you Multiple Copy?

You don't use an interval.  You just set the number of copies and distribute from one end of the line to the other. 

You don't use an interval.  You just set the number of copies and distribute from one end of the line to the other. 

Okay, I explored the Multiple Copy tool some more. Are you referring to this function?:

post-95-0-07287000-1458161317_thumb.png

It works as you described, but I'd never used it before. Now I'm smarter.

Here is an example of what I was trying to do to create my coffered ceiling and how it was created by the answer I got.

There are actually quite a few methods a person could use to get those sorts of numbers without even having a line.  For example, you could place point markers at both corners and then drop 3 more in between.  While the point marker tool is still active, Control or Shift select them, click Align/Distribute Objects and select space evenly in both directions. 

I just tried Ken's method with my deck posts and it worked perfectly. 2 fantastic time savers in one. Great day!

Edit....I actually meant rlacklore's method. I spaced the posts along the beam. No time at all to do it once you know how.

I just tried Ken's method with my deck posts and it worked perfectly. 2 fantastic time savers in one. Great day!

I obviously haven't seen your plan, but for things like deck posts all you often times have to do is group select them and use Align/Distribute Objects...Space Evenly or Distribute Centers Evenly.  Often times no need for drawing any extra lines at all.  Align/Distribute Along Line (using a wall or some other existing object) could work equally well for that situation too. 

How about this way which actually breaks the line into 4 parts.

Make sure Midpoint Snaps are toggled on.

Select the line.

Select the Break Line tool on the Edit toolbar.

Select Sticky Mode.

Snap to the centre of the line.

Snap to the centre of the new left hand section. 

Snap to the centre of the right hand section.

this gives you a polyline broken into 4 equal parts.

You can even use the Complete Break option as well if you want 4 individual lines instead of a polyline.