Wall Alignment

English

I seem to have messed up my wall alignments and I cannot seem to get them fixed.  I did a test plan as I cannot post my actual plan.

Can someone take a look and see what needs to be done so that the exterior of the foundation brick veneer aligns with the brick of the first floor wall.  

Thanks

Alan

TEST.plan

There are probably 12 different ways you could get those walls to align and I honestly don't know the best place to start.  It really depends on how you are building.  Here are a few key areas to explore and try to understand though...

-Wall Type Definitions for both the foundation wall and/or the wall above.  Specifically for the reasons below...

-Main Layers vs. Exterior Layers

-Foundation to Exterior of Layer settings

-Foundation Offset settings

I seem to have messed up my wall alignments and I cannot seem to get them fixed.  I did a test plan as I cannot post my actual plan.

Can someone take a look and see what needs to be done so that the exterior of the foundation brick veneer aligns with the brick of the first floor wall.  

Thanks

Alan

attachicon.gifTEST.plan

Here is the question.  How does CA know what face of the second floor wall needs to line up with what face of the first floor wall?

The answer is.....  drum roll please.....  THE MAIN LAYER.  

Work on your main layer def and you should be able to get it to work.

Again,  main layers line up with main layers,  figure out what the main layer is for each wall and where located and blah blah blah,  

Hey Michael,  are you still frozen in your house?  It is 72 and sunny out here,  I am thinking of going to hit some golf balls......  what are you going to do?  Shovel out your driveway?

I am just busting chops.  Hey,  I really appreciate all the input you have been providing lately,  some good info.  Thanks.

Here is the question.  How does CA know what face of the second floor wall needs to line up with what face of the first floor wall?

The answer is.....  drum roll please.....  THE MAIN LAYER.  

Work on your main layer def and you should be able to get it to work.

Again,  main layers line up with main layers,  figure out what the main layer is for each wall and where located and blah blah blah,

While this is true, its certainly not the only way or even the only RIGHT way.  For example...

-The upper wall (Brick-4_2) could be set to Foundation to Exterior of Layer: 2 - Insulation Air Gap.

-The brick on the lower wall (8" Concrete Stem Wall) could be moved to an Exterior Layer.

-Click the Align With Wall Above/Below tool and you're good to go.  Note that the main layers are NOT aligned.

There are several other such methods and settings that could result in a correct and accurate model where main layers are not aligned.  Again, it depends on what exactly you're trying to do. 

Hey Michael,  are you still frozen in your house?  It is 72 and sunny out here,  I am thinking of going to hit some golf balls......  what are you going to do?  Shovel out your driveway?

I am just busting chops.  Hey,  I really appreciate all the input you have been providing lately,  some good info.  Thanks.

Thanks Scott.  And yep, we're still frozen although its starting to warm up during the day .  No shoveling though, we haven't had much snow this year. 

Where you have a multi-layered foundation wall, optically-manually alignment of foundation walls seems to be a conservation solution

https://youtu.be/egAYrMGXoM8

DJP

I appreciate the time you took making that video, however I would strongly suggest avoiding the manual/optical alignment method and would instead encourage you to study the items listed in my post above...

-Wall Type Definitions for both the foundation wall and/or the wall above.  Specifically for the reasons below...

-Main Layers vs. Exterior Layers

-Foundation to Exterior of Layer settings

-Foundation Offset settings

If you understand what all those various settings are doing, there's no need to fumble around with visually aligning walls and you can get perfect and accurate results that don't end up with unintended consequences. 

This is what I found aligns the walls at their external brick layers.  Not sure if that is the correct way but it worked.

Alan

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-03-17 at 9.48.30 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-03-17 at 9.48.56 AM.png

There is not necessarily a right or wrong way.  Like I said there are a lot of ways you could get those layers to line up.  What you have shown might be one, and I listed another in Post #6.  It really just depends on the right answer for how your particular structure is to be constructed.

Okay Scott, you had to go and talk didn't ya.  It was almost spring here and now we've got several inches of fresh snow... and its showing no signs of stopping. 

Okay Scott, you had to go and talk didn't ya.  It was almost spring here and now we've got several inches of fresh snow... and its showing no signs of stopping.

Sorry about that, BTW, I was shooting bogie golf today before I had to leave for a commitment. I think I might stop at the driving range tomorrow morning to hit a bucket of balls before I enjoy breakfast at the beach.

March is a crazy month, was running around in shorts and "wife beater" a week ago and today they call for snow and temperatures back into 20's. I thought I will wake up to some snow powder as they predicted but so far its looking good.

Guys from warm climates love to bust our chops knowing we have to deal  with all this cold and snow BS.