how do i create different "versions" on the same plan?

waltsyd

I want to easily flip between several potential porch railing ideas on the same plan. I tried to create different porch railing walls on different layers, hoping to be able to quickly turn on or off the different ideas, but that didn't seem to work. I also want to try different window layouts on a wall without having to maintain completely separate plans for the same building.

In Chief you dont have layers in which objects exist - unlike other apps.  The only thing layers determine in CA is the visual of an object, as objects are actually on each floor - so that is why Joey recommends the save-as method.  Although I seem to remember a Chief video where they showed a way to display multiple dormer options - you may want to see that vid.

(added - never mind about that video, it appears they too used the save-as method)  They then used layout to show pictures of the different versions.

I want to easily flip between several potential porch railing ideas on the same plan. I tried to create different porch railing walls on different layers, hoping to be able to quickly turn on or off the different ideas, but that didn't seem to work. I also want to try different window layouts on a wall without having to maintain completely separate plans for the same building.

This is a great question.  I would of thought if the walls/railing were defined as NO ROOM DEF,  walls can stack on top of walls...  not possible now if it ever was.

I like to make my railings  out of MOLDINGS,  this way I can have 3 different rail styles on 3 different layers,  and to be able to see the different options,  all I need to do is turn layers on and off.

I am not sure why non def walls cannot stack on top of each other,  I thought it was possible at one time.  

BTW,  I have had  projects where I had a few different KITCHEN ISLAND options.  I put each island on a different layer so I could toggle between layers.  Very cool.....  but apparently walls/railings will give us problems.

Try creating the new railings with "No Room Definition" each on their own layer. May need to draw them off to the side and then drag over original railing. Make sure the original railing doesn't have "No Room Definition" checked. You should now be able to turn the different layers on or off to show the different railings.

Scott beat me to it. Seems to be working for me. Had to manually put in the railing doorway.

They don't automatically stack. But, you can drag one over the other using the CTRL key.

I get that,  however if I put a railing on top of a railing,  and each railing is a little different,  one of the railings will take precedence over the other and eliminate the first railing.

Take a look at this plan and let me know if you can stack the railings.  I cannot.

Haven't figured out why yet, but you are correct.  I can't do it in the plan you attached.  I can though in a new plan. 

EDIT:  I've honestly never really played around much with this until now as I've always just used the Save As method for creating various options.  In the past I've only toyed with the concept for creating demo walls. 

I'm not sure I want to spend much more time on it as I don't see myself ever using it, but after a little further investigation it seems to work in some instances and not in others or up to a certain point and then it stops working.  The factor that defines where that change takes place I have not yet discovered.  I'd be curious to know what that is if anyone else decides to dig deeper. 

Scott,

My railing is white on top of your front railing. Tab to select.

attachicon.gifJon BBB RAILING OPTIONS 3 TOTAL.plan

Jon,  if it works for you,  great.  However I think you will find if you play with it a bit,  it ain't too easy to use.

Apparently Alaska may be having issues also.

Look at my  picks,  the handrail does not met in corner very wall and also look at the skirt board....... 

post-50-0-79338400-1458070887_thumb.png

post-50-0-50743600-1458070902_thumb.png

post-50-0-15110000-1458070914_thumb.png

OK,. Here they are one on top of the other. My railing is white on layer "Wall, Railings, Jon. It has "No wall Definition" checked.

The original railing is on layer "Wall, Railings. Opt A" and has "No Wall Definition" unchecked.

You can turn the layers on and off to show the railing of choice. 

Jon BBB RAILING OPTIONS 3 TOTAL.plan

I think I found the limiting factor.  You can only have TWO walls occupy the same space...one normal and one No Room Definition.  A second wall of either type (or third wall overall) will override the first. 

EDIT:  Sorry Scott,  I realize now that this might have been what you were refering to earlier when you said "I am not sure why non def walls cannot stack on top of each other..." 

To reiterate though for those who don't know this...You CAN have 2 walls occupy the same space, but you CANNOT have 2 normal walls or 2 No Room Def walls occupy the same space.  Only one of each. 

OK,. Here they are one on top of the other. My railing is white on layer "Wall, Railings, Jon. It has "No wall Definition" checked.

The original railing is on layer "Wall, Railings. Opt A" and has "No Wall Definition" unchecked.

You can turn the layers on and off to show the railing of choice. 

attachicon.gifJon BBB RAILING OPTIONS 3 TOTAL.plan

Okay, Jon,  I hate to be a crabby pants,  but I think you are wrong.  In this vid I proved that if I put a non def railing on top of a non def railing,  one of the railings disappears......  in this case it was your railing.......  

https://youtu.be/kq20hllpUuA

this question comes up time and again since I started in 2005

I've had projects where I had to do 5 alternatives

a very big PITA to manage all the save as versions

a bigger PITA to find a mistake after the 5 clones and to have to make the same "fixes" 5 time :(

CA needs to give TOTAL layer control so walls etc can occupy the same space

showing alternatives is a major part of this business

Lew

• Upvote 1

I think I found the limiting factor.  You can only have TWO walls occupy the same space...one normal and one No Room Definition.  A second wall of either type (or third wall overall) will override the first. 

Yes Jon,  I think you are correct....  The Alaskan had the correct answer.  I think I recognized that also,  but I did  not put it in words.  Thank you Ron and Michael for figuring this out.