Wall covering

freshrooms

The wallcovering on the upper stairwall is is behaving strangely.  Can anyone help me with this?

It is z fighting...  I do not know how to fix.....  maybe paint the wall with the material.....  do not use wall covering.... I am not a lot of help

post-50-0-73102900-1458056026_thumb.png

post-50-0-08191500-1458056035_thumb.png

The wall colors are showing behind the wallpaper as you rotate the view.  I don't understand why applying wallcovering to an individual wall doesn't simply overwrite the room definition wall covering.  Maybe I have to individually treat each wall?

Thanks - Scott is correct we call this Z fighting. It occurs when two materials, one in front and one behind, occupy the same space or almost. Chief does not know which one to display. The material on top, your wall paper needs to have some thickness beyond the drywall face, say 1/16". If the object you are attempting to cover has a layer option the you can define it there. You can also use a material region which also permits a thickness of layer option.

When ever this occurs just remember two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

Graham

Switch to Standard view and they are probably not still behaving this way. I think it's a video card issue, and not a modeling issue. I have some models that will behave this way, and others that don't, and I know I generate my models the same way, and from the same template. 

I would not fight this issue any more than needed. I have never had it show in a rendering, or in an elevation view.

Switch to Standard view and they are probably not still behaving this way. I think it's a video card issue, and not a modeling issue. I have some models that will behave this way, and others that don't, and I know I generate my models the same way, and from the same template. 

I would not fight this issue any more than needed. I have never had it show in a rendering, or in an elevation view.

I am almost positive that this has nothing to do with the video card. I can predict it's occurrence and recreate it. Just worked on one a few hours ago. As mentioned in my prior post, Chief sees the two materials as occupying the same space/plane. Not saying that this is not a bug of some sort but for some reason the wall paper is not being seen as being beyond the drywall paper face or if it is it is of insufficient thickness to be properly determined as being so.

Graham

Graham I understand all of that, and I agree....but spending any more time than is absolutely needed, is a waste. The z-fighting...in my experience...doesn't show in Standard view, and doesn't show in Elevation view, so I don't think twice about ignoring it. I would also say that I never, or rarely, use wall coverings. I will always opt for creating a wall type with the materials applied. 

Graham I understand all of that, and I agree....but spending any more time than is absolutely needed, is a waste. The z-fighting...in my experience...doesn't show in Standard view, and doesn't show in Elevation view, so I don't think twice about ignoring it. I would also say that I never, or rarely, use wall coverings. I will always opt for creating a wall type with the materials applied. 

Understand but if one needs to output a standard view or Raytrace you have to fix it. Also, if you are in a standard view with a client it really does not look good, big distraction and the client is certainly going to ask what the hell is that.

Graham

Thanks for all of the replies.  I am running the Interiors version, which doesn't have wall material region control.  The work around is to use the custom backsplash tool which cuts the the wall layer and replaces it.  Another option is to use the trusty polyline tool, only that draws a new layer on top. 

Here is a test to demonstrate this Z-Fighting. This is a Standard view camera.

On the protruding portion wall I have a Psolid with one face positioned to be in the same plane as the drywall face. It Z-Fights.

On the main wall behind I have 2 Wall Material Regions.

The lower region has a thickness of 2/32", cut finish is unchecked. It Z-Fights.

The region above has a thickness of 3/32", cut finish unchecked. No Z-Fighting.

Seems that below 3/32" you run the possibility of Z-Fighting even though the material has a thickness beyond the underlying surface.

Graham

post-4793-0-46884800-1458066223_thumb.jpg