Dimensioning slab foundation

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief, I'm using X-8

I have being adding dimensions to a slab foundation and see that chief does not recognize the cut in the curb wall for the doors around the garage.

I have tried all of the different dimension commands and none of them will snap the cut in the curb wall for the garage door and the 2668 door. The

point to point seams to get close but it will not snap precisely to the edge of the curb cut. 

Also is there a way to change the dimension callout on a specific dimension text? Sometimes the smaller dimension text will not fit a within the extension lines.

If I could change the dimension to read 14 1/2" instead of 1'-2 1/2" it would just fit between the extension lines. I know I can change the default settings to read only in inches, but I do not want the entire floor plan dimensions to be inches.

Thanks,

Mike

1. You should be able to dimension to the kerb wall openings.

2. First off, make your Minimum Display size for Dimensions zero, in Preferences.

Select the dimension line.

Just under the dimension number there is a small grip that you can grab and move the dimension number to beside the extension lines - or anywhere else you want.

Changing the minimum display size to zero allows you to see the text at it's correct size, no matter what the zoom level is.

If you have it set to 50, the text will never get smaller than 50 pixels as you zoom and thus you may not see the actual size on screen - although the dimension text will still print at the correct size.

You could also turn on Print Preview to see the actual size without changing this setting.

You can do all sorts of things by using different dimension strings along the same line and format them differently.

You can use Blank Segments to "jump over" other dimensions.......you can even use different units for different sections. 

Have a play and see what you can do.

post-106-0-55995500-1458013919_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifNew Image_65.jpgChanging the minimum display size to zero allows you to see the text at it's correct size, no matter what the zoom level is.

If you have it set to 50, the text will never get smaller than 50 pixels as you zoom and thus you may not see the actual size on screen - although the dimension text will still print at the correct size.

You could also turn on Print Preview to see the actual size without changing this setting.

You can do all sorts of things by using different dimension strings along the same line and format them differently.

You can use Blank Segments to "jump over" other dimensions.......you can even use different units for different sections. 

Have a play and see what you can do.

Glenn

How exactly do you do that as I would love to change from feet and inches to inches for some dimensions?

Thanks

Alan

Alan, Open your dimension Line to get the Dimension Line Specification DBX and turn off Default formatting for your specific dimension line and choose whatever format you like.  You can even set up your own units if you like to measure some other way.  Lots of choices here.

post-4797-0-16150400-1463111563_thumb.jpg

Yes that will work for a few selected dimensions or dimension strings or even all of them but if you would like to change all or the majority of dimensions in your plan then you should consider changing your default rather than selectively turning it off.

No sorry, unless Glenn has a secret you must break your dimension string up to do this.  You can see the slight telltale offset in his string if you look carefully. That is how it works for me.  Sometimes I will break up a string to share segments between layers but you can usually line them up so it does not show, so I think Glenn was in a hurry to create his example or purposely left a little offset so as not to deceive us.

Chopsaw

PS Here is the Dimension Line Specification DBX for Segments so you can remove a Segment from the middle of a long string.

post-4797-0-41733400-1463244032_thumb.jpg