Drawing "on" layer

johnny

I am probably missing a key easy option, but what do I have to do to draw on a layer? (or i should say on the layer's properties) The only way i've been able to do that is by setting up a separate anno-set that defines the CAD layer....but there has to be a faster way?

Perfect - thanks.

Also, I am trying to finish the entire plan in CA currently, and finished a wall section.  Adding the dark profile line was really a pain.  Is there a faster way to get profile lines on CAD sections other than tracing the entire drawing? 

post-75-0-84791900-1457994354_thumb.png

Perfect - thanks.

Also, I am trying to finish the entire plan in CA currently, and finished a wall section. Adding the dark profile line was really a pain. Is there a faster way to get profile lines on CAD sections other than tracing the entire drawing?

I don't have any great answer for you at the moment, but did you try unlocking the cross section lines layer (not at my computer and don't remember what it's actually called) and then selecting those? Might partially speed up the process...I don't know.

BTW Johnny, I think you really have a gift for creating beautiful 2D visuals. Every time you post any of your finish quality CAD work I am always very impressed. Nice work.

BTW Johnny, I think you really have a gift for creating beautiful 2D visuals. Every time you post any of your finish quality CAD work I am always very impressed. Nice work.

I'll second that. Johnny, I always enjoy the visual styles you incorporate into your work. In my neck of the woods I don't usually do the type presentations that you seem gifted at. Most clients aren't interested and just want their drawings finished so they can start yesterday! :)

Mike

Thanks guys!....just trying to learn how to do what I did in Vectorworks inside CA.  Up to now i've been exporting my model from CA into Vectorworks to finish, like I know some others do - but I am trying to jump both feet into CA to see if everything I want to do can be done.  So far so good, but its hard to know exactly the best method to use.

Again, thanks for the help too.

Johnny,

I would be more inclined to specify your rail to include the Newel/Posts from the library. 

That way, the columns and rails stay as one entity.

No need to muck around placing railing and columns separately.

You can then choose what displays by using the Plan Display settings. ie, Draw Newels, Draw Balusters/Panels, Draw Rails.

post-106-0-79614200-1458000326_thumb.jpg

Thanks Glenn I will try that. I guess I didn't do it since the transitional newel wasn't working correctly. However, I suppose I could get the top banister to work out.

Isn't it a bit odd though that the block for a symbol cannot be brought forward or back? What happens if you had a symbol under something else - are you just SOL?

Johnny,

You can fill a symbol with any color you like to hide a rail.

....as long as the fill color is the same color as the rail! :)

Use the Fill setting on the 2D Block panel of the Symbol Specification dbx.

Sounds good - that works well for the hand-rails!

Thanks guys!....just trying to learn how to do what I did in Vectorworks inside CA.  Up to now i've been exporting my model from CA into Vectorworks to finish, like I know some others do - but I am trying to jump both feet into CA to see if everything I want to do can be done.  So far so good, but its hard to know exactly the best method to use.

Again, thanks for the help too.

Wow, this brings back memories. I jumped ship from Vectorworks back in 2011 or 2012?

I've never understood something related to your first question....why can't we select the Current CAD layer we want to draw on from the ACTIVE LAYER DISPLAY OPTIONS box which is on the right side if the screen? See my attachment. How freakin easy would it be for Chief to add a little check mark "Make Current Layer". Seems sillystupid easy.

post-663-0-27245500-1458272040_thumb.jpg

I think that's actually where it used to be if I remember correctly.  Probably like everything else.  People were complaining because it didn't make any sense to them.  So they moved it and now it doesn't make any sense.  I could be remembering incorrectly but I'm pretty sure it was in the layer display options dbx when I first started using Chief.