Feedback on plan and roof help

shanecarman

Hello,

I have an uncle who asked me to design a dream home for his new ranch.  He has many children and wanted a large home.  I was wondering if anyone could give some general feedback on the plan and offer any suggestions?  If he likes it enough, he may give me a room in the house!  I would appreciate any feedback.  One issue I currently have is the automatic roof on the rear section of the third floor.  It is covering the windows in those rooms.  Any suggestions on that?  I would like the third floor to look smaller then the other floors from the outside but still have the rooms that are up there.  I have included a download link to the file due to it being too large to attach here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z0tyqd5rll4xfyf/AACCIhcyCHVvrAFZ-4fWIGJqa?dl=0

Thank you for your support.

That did it! The deer and the antelope are playing now.  :)

It looks like you're going to have to use some combination of changing roof pitches, changing roof styles, and manually modifying roof planes to make sure the roof over the second story doesn't interfere with the walls and windows of the third story. Automatic roofs are a great starting point, but oftentimes, especially with more complex designs like this, you have to go in and make adjustments manually, or all-out redraw it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

It was quite the plan - hopefully you and yours can figure out how to build it without going bankrupt!

Roofs are definitely a pain in the keister once you move past the simple stuff. If you can figure out how to do general polyline stuff, you should be able to figure out roof planes, and then it's just a matter of drawing them in the right direction and setting the correct height and other settings.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I opened the file, but I would recommend you find an architect/designer to finish the plans with you.  There are code issues, and impossible build elements throughout the plan.  Its not a criticism of the plan/design as much as seeing too many to list issues and problems that need to be solved and re-worked.  I think you could use this as a stepping stone to get where you want to go, but the design as you have shouldn't move forward without some major re-works.

All the best...

It was quite the plan - hopefully you and yours can figure out how to build it without going bankrupt!

Roofs are definitely a pain in the keister once you move past the simple stuff. If you can figure out how to do general polyline stuff, you should be able to figure out roof planes, and then it's just a matter of drawing them in the right direction and setting the correct height and other settings.

Thanks for the advice.  I am slowly trying to better learn how to manually create the roofs.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I opened the file, but I would recommend you find an architect/designer to finish the plans with you.  There are code issues, and impossible build elements throughout the plan.  Its not a criticism of the plan/design as much as seeing too many to list issues and problems that need to be solved and re-worked.  I think you could use this as a stepping stone to get where you want to go, but the design as you have shouldn't move forward without some major re-works.

All the best...

Thanks for the advice.  Right now I have been mainly focused on the overall layout but will certainly be consulting an architect once this gets closer to reality.